Women are social. Women are social media.
In 2008, Rapleaf predicted that ‘the internet would be pink‘ – meaning predominantly female. Research shows that women use three times the words that men do each day and that social media sites (a powerful way of having ‘conversations) as shown here – “Chick’s Rule.”
We women can’t help it – we’re SOCIAL – by nature.
In fact, here’s proof:
Women Turn to Social Media to Share Opinions, Seek Recommendations Before Product Purchases
BELMONT, Calif. & NEW YORK–(BUSINESS WIRE)–The BlogHer-iVillage 2010 Social Media Matters Study, co-sponsored by Ketchum and the Nielsen Company, indicates that 73% of online women are now active social media users, engaging weekly or more often with top social media platforms. Social media is playing an increasingly important role in the everyday lives of Americans, particularly when it comes to getting advice on consumer products, according to the new survey released today, with many consulting blogs or message boards before making purchases.
“The twenty million users who visit the BlogHer Network favor blogs over every other media source for reasons both personal and pragmatic”
Key findings from the study include:
* Blogs are second only to Internet search as the preferred media source for product purchasing information for BlogHer Network users
* Blogs dominate the attention of BlogHer Network users (96% read blogs weekly or more often)
* BlogHer users are significantly more active with all three top social media platforms vs the average woman online (Blogs, Facebook, Twitter)
* Message boards/forums are second only to conversations with friends and family as the preferred source of product purchasing information for iVillage community users
* Among the iVillage community, 73% say that they are sharing topics on message boards/forums that they would not share on social networks. Of those, Relationships (61%), Health (45%) and Work-related (39%) issues were the top topics they would not share on social networks
* Over one third (33.6%) of iVillage community members post on message boards/forums every day
The study shows that women rely heavily on both blogs and message boards when seeking advice and recommendations (Blogs: 21% of the total U.S. online population, 63% of the BlogHer Network; Message Boards/Forums: 38% of the total U.S. online population, and 92% of the iVillage community), particularly when looking for information to help guide purchases of new products (Blogs: 22% of the total U.S. online population, and 59% of the BlogHer Network).
Of course, this isn’t really surprising, right? Girlfriends have been recommending products, tips and solutions since Eve had another woman to talk to. That’s what we do – try to help make our friend’s lives better. That’s what girlfriends just do.
As these studies indicate, we often don’t trust brands to tell us the true story. We trust our girlfriends. And we love to connect with and have conversation with our girlfriends – which is why women have jumped on the social media ‘bandwagon.’
Who can you trust? You trust your girlfriends.
Need a recipe, recommendation, reminder of what happened/when/how? We all need a little shared support and we’re so lucky to have our girlfriends to help us make life a little better.
Be a friend. Heck, be a better friend! Be there for your girlfriends and help make their life a little easier. Together we can make the world a better place … one friendship at a time!
Ways to be a better friend, from Girlfriendology blogs:
- Be a better friend – make your friends feel special
- Be a better friend – share tips with your girlfriends like these from the LOL (Locals on Living Bloggers) Summit
- Share girlfriend advice – make your friends life easier
p.s. And … be a friend to Girlfriendology! Share this blog with your girlfriends by clicking the Facebook LIKE button below and also, when you’re on our Facebook page, SHARE IT WITH YOUR GIRLFRIENDS. (Please?!) Thanks girlfriend!
Thanks for shopping from these and our other affiliates for girlfriend gifts and more! Sierra Trading Post – Great Deals, Great Brands, UncommonGoods – uncommon gifts!, Handbag Heaven – Best Selling Handbags, OldNavy.com – Trends & Sales (great combo!), American Express® Gift Cards – for every occasion, Affordable Scarves – Style and savings!, GiftTree.com – gifts, gift baskets, wine, etc.!, Crocs.com – Feel the love!, Gift Ideas from Vera Bradley, Endless.com – shoes, purses & more, and save big at drugstore.com!, Orbitz.com– Take a Girlfriend Getaway!