It wasn’t meant to be a Thanksgiving conversation between girlfriends. It was a ‘mayday’ kind-of call where one friend was having a rough time and the other was too, actually.
The two friends were me and one of my very special BFFs, we’ll call her ‘Callie.’
Callie and I have both been through some pretty radical changes in our lives the past few years. We’ve experienced huge changes in our lives, seen the people around our Thanksgiving table come and go. Traditions that we’ve had for decades have ended and, to be honest, that has been stressful and sad.
In the midst of a teary conversation, it hit me. It was a Thanksgiving conversation. Not the time, but the sentiment. The solution was very similar to the Oprah quote above – we need to focus on what we have, not what we don’t (or used to). We’re both healthy, happy, strong, smart women. We have amazing people in our lives who love us. We each have very satisfying careers. If we focus on what we have, and not what don’t, we are blessed beyond measure.
So, who do we NOT set a place for at our Thanksgiving table? Don’t make room for regret, for all the old memories. Don’t allow the past to shape our future. Remind yourself, or a friend, to focus on what we HAVE not what we don’t.
And be THANKFUL girlfriend! We have each other. We are blessed beyond measure. Happy Thanksgiving Friend!
(& thanks Callie for being the friend I needed to share this conversation with. When we raise a glass of wine together today, in a house full of friends, I will be especially grateful that you’re my BFF!)
More Thanksgiving inspiration:
- 15 Tips for Shopping on Black Friday
- Thanksgiving Quotes to share, post and tweet about!
- More Thanksgiving Quotes (ditto above!)
- Funny Thanksgiving Quotes – because smiling burns calories!
- Thankful Thursday – Celebrating Thanksgiving in Two Words
- The Not-So-Black Friday after Thanksgiving
- Favorite Videos – on Gratitude (Thanksgiving inspired!)
If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
Note: Girlfriendology does share affiliate links from time to time. However, we only recommend products that we’d honestly share with a girlfriend.
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts – Christmas Gifts, Mother’s Day Gifts, Valentine’s Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<——- What’s NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks – including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!