This post originally ‘aired’ in October 2008. Podcasting was growing but not mainstream. Girlfriendology, aka: Debba Haupert, took on podcasting and interviewed over 150 amazing women – including Miss America 2011 and TV ‘craft queen’ Carol Duvall. Female authors, entrepreneurs, moms, cancer-survivors, soldiers, girlfriends … we learned from their words and share wisdom. There were very few podcasts for women then, but there were great ones and many that I have the honor of interviewing for the Girlfriendology Podcast.
It was a glorious run. But it ended. Podcasting takes time and there was little of it.
Now it’s 2017 and Podcasting is BACK! With the popularity of Serial and other podcasts, the amount of fresh audio content each week is amazing. There is something about hearing someone’s voice and their authentic story told as only they can tell it. There is power in the connection we make when we listen and learn together.
As stated above, this original post went live in 2008. It’s been very popular however some of the links and podcasts are no more. So, it’s a NEW YEAR and a NEW opportunity to share what is going on in the world of women’s podcasting. Who are inspiring? Sharing stories and wisdom? Making us laugh? Making us cry? Reminding us of the connection that all women share through our voice and stories.
10 Great Podcasts for / by Women (the 2017 version)
Note: this is our first list. There are so many others we want to feature! Come back to Girlfriendology (or sign up for our newsletter) to get more podcasts for women recommendations!
- ORGANIZE 365: Lisa Woodruff knows her stuff – and she knows how to keep it organized – AND she knows how to help you too! From quick tasks you can do to reclaim yourself from the crazies, to specific guidelines for your life on a regular basis, she uses her experience as a professional organizer to help women get and stay organized. (And, check out her book, The Mindset of Organization!)
- CAN WE TALK?: Each month on Can We Talk?, JWA’s podcast team brings you stories and conversations about Jewish women and the issues that shape our public and private lives. Alternating between a documentary style and a roundtable format, Can We Talk? includes profiles of historical and contemporary Jewish women, frank discussion of culture, politics, and current events, and little-known stories from our past and present. NOTE: you don’t have to be Jewish to listen to (and love!) this podcast! It is a beautiful telling of women and lessons we learn from each other and history.
- STUFF MOM NEVER TOLD YOU: I just discovered this one and love it! As they say (and I agree!): “Hosted by Cristen Conger and Caroline Ervin, Stuff Mom Never Told You is the audio podcast from HowStuffWorks that gets down to the business of being women from every imaginable angle.” Some great content like women’s relationships (** we’d love to be on to talk about Female Friendship :), technology for women (period tracking apps), women’s health, stereotypes, etc. Good gal stuff!
- INVISIBILIA: I love this NPR podcast on the invisible forces that control human behavior – ideas, beliefs, assumptions and emotions. Co-hosted by Lulu Miller, Hanna Rosin and Alix Spiegel, Invisibilia interweaves narrative storytelling with scientific research that will ultimately make you see your own life differently.
- MAGIC LESSONS: Elizabeth Gilbert, author of many books including ‘Eat, Pray, Love‘ and ‘Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear‘ takes women along on her journey through life, love and living beyond fear.
- HELLO FRIEND: By friend Lucrecer Braxton. First, totally jealous Lucrecer came up with this name and podcast! 🙂 (She’s a beautiful friend and great storyteller/photographer). Each week Lucrecer interviews in interesting person for their story and insights. It’s a fun, fabulous podcast (and I hope to have Lucrecer on our podcast too!).
- AMY PORTERFIELD: If you’re a blogger or online marketer, you probably know Amy. She’s a great resource for solid, smart information on building your audience, doing webinars, and growing your business. In a genre dominated by male podcasters, Amy is a rare female voice. Her personality comes through though so the content is fresh and applicable.
- GRETCHEN RUBIN: Author of The Happiness Project, etc., Gretchen, and her sister Elizabeth, have created a smart and inspiring podcast for women (and men) on happiness. From interviews with Drew Barrymore to friendly banter among sisters about life, these conversations look inside our feelings and how we can point them towards more happiness.
- WOMEN OF THE HOUR: With Lena Dunham is a smart, honest, insightful podcast this beautiful actress/activist. Especially her first episode on female friendship. As she describes her girlfriend(s) as: ‘Someone you can talk comfortably with about uncomfortable things’ … ‘Female friendship has been THE driving force of my life’ … ‘I love loving men, but I love knowing women.’ She defines her podcasts (for Buzzfeed) as a way to ‘celebrate the women who blow her mind.’ It’s a short series, but not short on honest insights from this wonderful woman and storyteller.
- BRAVE WRITER: Aimed at Home Schooling parents, the wise and wonderful Julie Bogart offers insights on raising children with curiosity, adventure, and a passion for learning.
(NOTE – I’m still editing this post and will add the other podcasts shortly! LEAVE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW!)
[Tweet “10 Great Podcasts for Women”]
* Our TOP TEN Girlfriendology podcasts from our CLASSICS? Glad you asked! (-; 1. Carol Duvall (author, TV queen of crafts), 2. Ellen Shuman (emotional eating expert), 3. Debbie Macomber (mega-author), 4. Katie Hacker (beading author), 5. Kris Radish (our first video, great author!), 6. Novel Destinations authors: Joni Rendon and Shannon McKenna Schmidt, 7. Jill MacKay (author, designer, girlfriend – interview with me!), 8. Tami Boehmer (Breast Cancer Warrior), 9. Lisa Shepard Stewart, 10. Carrie Runnals (of WordsToMouth and TheDiva Cast).
Any other podcasts for women that you’d recommend?
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!