Girlfriend – I want you to be well and be around for a long time. I do. I want you to feel strong and happy, healthy and confident.That’s what girlfriends want for each other.
Fortunately as women, we generally share information and info on being healthy is some of the most valuable. (If you haven’t got your health … it’s sad, right?) Thankfully we’ve got some great girlfriends around her at Girlfriendology who have great girlfriend advice! Meet ALISA VITTI, founder of FLO Living. She’s got great information for women about being hormonally healthy like this personal story on overcoming some big health issues:
The defining moment for me came 12 years ago, I weighed 200 pounds, I had severe cystic acne, I was deeply depressed, and I had my period only twice a year. I was suffering from a hormonal imbalance called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or PCOS. It was quite traumatic.
I didn’t even know what I had for quite awhile. Doctor after doctor suggested that maybe I had a slow thyroid, or an endocrine problem, or a candida infection, but all their tests came back inconclusive. I finally diagnosed myself with PCOS after tremendous research on my own. And that’s when I was hit with even worse news: PCOS is considered incurable by Western medicine.
In that defining moment, I finally realized that it was up to me to empower my own healing process.
So that’s what I began to do. I apprenticed myself to alternative healthcare practitioners. I studied the whole gamut of herbology, naturopathy, homeopathy, acupressure, elimination diets, and tried everything. I used myself as a guinea pig to see what could be done.
During these experiments, I found that I could powerfully impact my own body chemistry with what I ate. When I found the right combination of foods for my body’s condition, I saw tremendous positive changes in my health. I lost 60 pounds, my skin cleared up, and my depression lifted. Best of all, I have had regular menstrual periods for the last 10 years.
I’ve been blessed to be able to work with so many women from all over the world during the past decade since opening my center. I want to share some of my secrets with you!
When it comes to healing your hormonal symptoms with food (which is totally possible, by the way) it’s not about spot-treating your cyst or cramps or low libido or fill-in-your-compliant-here by eating a magical substance that will make it go away.
On the contrary, it’s about looking at how EVERYTHING you eat is affecting your delicate hormonal system. Specifically, there are 3 underlying causes of most hormonal imbalances that you must be aware of.
- Mis-managed blood sugar. Do you feel that afternoon dip in energy? Crave sugar or carbs throughout the day? Need a nap after meals? Those are all signs your blood sugar needs help!
- Burnt out adrenal glands. Are you stressed out? Have trouble waking up in the morning? Rely on caffeine to keep you going? Chances are you’ve been putting your adrenal glands into over drive which will wreak havoc on the rest of your hormonal system.
- Slow detoxification and elimination. Are your bowel movements irregular or slow to move? (i.e. less than twice a day, every morning and afternoon) Do you have acne, eczema, or rosacea? Looks like your liver and digestive system could use a bit of support. After all, your liver is responsible for breaking down the excess hormones in your bloodstream, and your digestive tract is how those hormones get eliminated from your body. If they aren’t working properly, those hormones will continue circulating in your bloodstream and contribute to the symptoms you’re experiencing!
ALISA VITTI, HHC, AADP founded FLO Living in 2001 to help women recover from menstrual disturbances, fertility challenges, energy and low libido issues in their 20’s, 30’s, and 40’s. Alisa pioneered a nutritional protocol that restores hormonal balance. She received degrees from Johns Hopkins University and the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. Alisa was featured in Dr. Christiane Northrup’s Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom in 2010. She is currently writing her first book due out in March 2013.
THANKS Alisa for sharing helpful, healthy advice!
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts – Christmas Gifts, Mother’s Day Gifts, Valentine’s Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<——- What’s NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks – including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!