What do girlfriends talk about? Everything, of course. But some of the most frequent subjects are shoes, romance, chocolate, and weight loss. (Just ask the Faux Diet Queen.)
Guest blogger Jaki Sinclair shares the amazing changes she made in her life — and how her girlfriends helped her every step of the way.
Weight loss is an often talked about topic with our girlfriends. I know my friends and I discuss it a lot. I’ve always struggled with my weight. I’ve been overweight since grade-school and have tried all of the diets to only gain the weight back plus more.
My friends often told me I was negative and mean when I spoke about myself, but I just thought they didn’t understand. I had lost 101 pounds on my last diet and had gained it all back along with a few extra pounds. I was feeling like a failure from all of the diets I tried and failed over the years and it was affecting my entire life. One day as I was thinking about how I wished my life was different, I became aware of the internal dialogue I was having with myself and realized how negative my self-talk really was.
I knew I needed to change things and knew I had to start with the way I was thinking and talking to myself. I decided instead of making myself feel punished or deprived I was going to add in positive things that would start guiding me in the right direction.
My Three Steps to Getting Started
- Positive Thinking and Self-talk. In the beginning, adding in the positive self-talk was hard for me. I was so used to putting myself down that it made me very uncomfortable to say something nice about myself. It was easier for me to think the positive thoughts in my head and not say them out loud, so I started with that. My friends were awesome. If they noticed me putting myself down they were there to remind me that I wasn’t doing that anymore and I would immediately turn the comment into something positive.
- Activity. I had not been very active for many years. I was at the point of having a lot of trouble moving around and carrying the extra weight. I started adding in five minute walks a few times a week. As time went on, I added in more days and time.
- Healthy Foods. I added in foods I had not been eating much of in a long time. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. And water. I thought I didn’t like vegetables or water and now they are the first thing I reach for when I walk in the kitchen.
These three things were so easy for me to add in and made me feel a sense of accomplishment.
My girlfriends were my biggest cheerleaders. They would give me healthy recipes and send me positive messages often. They are so happy to see me active and healthier than I have been in a very long time
I have lost 120 pounds and am keeping it off by using all of the strategies this journey has taught me—and it has taught me a lot. I feel like I have my life back and feel like the best is yet to come!
JAKI SINCLAIR is the Founder of Slim Down U and is committed to inspiring and empowering others to learn healthy new habits by taking that first step in the right direction.
How have you helped girlfriends be healthier? How have your gals helped you stay on track to your goals?
Check out more girlfriend advice on being healthy:
- 7 Healthy Ways to be a Better Friend – New Years or not, every day is a good day to get healthy & spend time with your girlfriends
- Getting healthy with your Girlfriends – great girlfriend advice from Crystal Collins
- Take a walk with a Girlfriend – what a great way to get exercise and spend time together
- The Faux Diet Queen reviews the Cinch Diet – or is wine a fruit?
- Interview with Wellness & Weight Coach Jana Currie – get healthy, she shares how
- Jana’s advice on how to turn around the course of your life
- Interview with the Thrifty Mama Crystal Collins on eating healthy
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ’30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ – check it out!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 25,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration. THANKS to our BIG 2012 sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter. And – Thanks to YOU Girlfriend!