It’s International Women’s Friendship Month (aka: #FriendshipMonth) and we’re celebrating at Girlfriendology with guest blogs by inspiring women – like this one from Kimberly Anderson, the style guru at Kim’s Closet.
Thanks Kimberly for giving us some great ideas for giving back and for spending time with our gal pals in this new guest blog! Leave your comments at the end–we want to know what you think!
Girlfriends, we are always reminding one another to add ourselves to our to-do list and take some time for fun with friends.
We have two ideas that will fill your day with fun, while filling your hearts with joy. Then we have a budget-conscious way for you and your friends to relax after all that giving back.
RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS
It is time to get out and go with the girlfriends and double the pleasure, double the fun! You and all your friends are going to make the day of an unsuspectingly stranger. Here are some ideas:
- Going to the movies? How about buying an extra ticket and asking the teller to give it to the person that is next in line?
- Out for a bite to eat? Here is one of my favorites: pick up the tab of an elderly person who is dining alone. Tell your server to only tell the person that they have been touched by a random act of kindness. I have seen it positively impact: the waitress, all your friends at the table, and the person who looks around and wonders who treated them so generously.
- Day of shopping? Before you and your friends head out, gather clothing that you have not worn in a while, and take them to a women’s shelter, homeless shelter, or to a family in need.
Not every act of kindness has to involve money. If you like what someone is wearing, compliment them. If you see someone who may look down and out, acknowledge them—smile and say hello. Yes, it is truly remarkable how a smile and a hello can simply change someone’s day.
GIRLFRIENDS GIVING BACK
It is great to have a day with your girlfriends, but I think you will find it twice as rewarding if you are spending the day together giving back.
For those of you who are on a tight budget – it is a great way to spend the day out and about without spending a dime. You can marry your interests to an organization that fits your likes and talents. There are many organizations that offer a variety of services from providing love and assistance to the elderly, to caring for animals, to rebuilding the community (and so many more!) .
- Little Brothers Friends of The Elderly. This organization relieves isolation and loneliness among the elderly. (Please check for your local chapter or for a similar organization in your area).
- SPCA. This organization strives to strengthen the human-animal bond and improve the welfare of animals by fostering humane care and treatment of all animals. (Please check for your local chapter or for a similar organization in your area).
- Rebuild Joplin. RebuildJoplin.org is a Bright compra levitra online Futures initiative and is a relevant resource for people affected by the storm AND for those who wish to help.
A DAY SPA-CATION
It is time for you and your girlfriends to reward yourselves after all the acts of kindness and giving back. Take a day and set up an economical Spa-Cation. Have one girlfriend host the party at her home.
Here’s a peek at how to do it:
- The hostess provides the space, refreshments and snacks
- Each friend who is coming can select one of the following to bring:
- Towels and salt scrubs
- iPod loaded with relaxing spa tunes
- Candles and lotions
- Face masks
- Nail polish. Have fun with this! Bring an array of polishes with fun names. Everyone has to choose theirs by name before seeing the color. OPI and ESSIE have a variety of very fun names!
Remember to nurture your relationships and importantly make the time for one another.
In this fast paced world of e-mail , texting, Twitter and Facebook, it truly isn’t enough to just randomly touch base electronically. Rekindle and nourish your relationships with your girlfriends—you will be amazed how refreshed and motivated you will feel after spending a day together loaded with girl power.
Kim’s Closet is a refreshing twist in lifestyle and makeover television. Kim’s Closet is changing lives across America by reaching out and showing that creative shifts in attitude, style and confidence will lead to new paths and countless opportunities for positive change throughout the lives of everyday women and men. Style doesn’t just encompass what you see in the mirror – it extends throughout your home, your beauty routine and your life. http://www.KimsCloset.tv, https://twitter.com/#!/KimsClosetTV, http://getyourstyleback.blogspot.com/
How do you and your girlfriends give back to the community? Join in the conversation and leave your comments below!
We LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! OR, become one of our wonderful Girlfriend Gurus and be featured on Girlfriendology every month!
Note: It’s September – International Women’s Friendship Month and we’re celebrating all month long! From this interview and guest blog by Miss America, to a month of women’s wisdom and 30 guest blogs, to our Newsletter Sign-up Contest and Facebook fun, and more! Don’t miss out on any of it! SIGN UP for our Newsletter and ‘Like’ us on Facebook to stay up to date with all the fun friendship festivities and more!
Check out this Girlfriendology blog about girlfriends giving back to their community – through prom dresses!
Our September Friendship Month Guest Blogs so far …
- Sept 1 – MISS AMERICA, Teresa Scanlan – The Importance of Friendship
- Sept 2 – Shasta Nelson, GirlfriendCircles – Friendship in Stages – Advice for more Meaningful Friendships
- Sept 3 – Kimberly Anderson, Kim’s Closet TV – Giving back to your community with a Friend
- Sept 4 – Lynn Gasior, Cabin Chicks – Girlfriend Memories and Traditions
- Sept 5 – Rachel Awes, Artist – The Art of Girlfriends
And for our FASHION FRIENDS: Please accept this invitation to join Gilt Groupe. On Gilt, you have access to the top names in fashion and luxury goods at up to 60% off retail. Membership is free, so join today!