My friend Chris (who is a brilliant reporter/writer – leave it to a journalist to use a “;” 🙂 wrote the above in her ‘letter to her 15 year-old self.’ It’s great women’s wisdom for all of us — FRIENDS are super important.
Female Friendships make women healthier, happier, less stressed, live longer and feel more beautiful.
Those wonderful benefits of female friendship improve our quality of life and are key to our happiness. So, we compiled a guide for women friends: ‘From Bad to Bestie: The Girlfriend Guide to being a Better Friend‘:
- 3 Reasons Why Women Make BAD FRIENDS: Unfortunately, we’ve all experienced it … a girlfriend who doesn’t return our calls when we’ve expressed a need for her help, a friend who never gives thoughtful gifts, a BFF who takes something little the wrong way and then ends the friendship. It begs the question WHY? Why are Women often Bad Friends? (And how can we turn this around to being a better friend?)
- A Best Friend cares about Your WHY (Purpose / Dreams): Girlfriend, what’s your WHY? What are your dreams/hopes? What is the PURPOSE of your life? Have you shared these with a girlfriend? Have you asked your friends about their Purpose/Dreams? We have the great honor of inspiring the women in our lives. We can show them by our example what it means to ‘be a better friend,’ to care about each other and our dreams.
- Show your Friendship in Random Acts of KINDNESS: Do something kind and unexpected. Challenge yourself to carefully and thoughtfully identify a need or want that would make her happy. Be the kind of friend you’d love to have. And, then experience the ‘euphoria’ of kindness. Feel the benefits yourself of being generous, considerate, a friend. Be a better friend, because life really is better together.
- Make TIME for your Girlfriends: Why don’t we work to have not only a life/work balance, but to have a life/friendship balance? Probably the most common excuse for not making time for our girlfriends is that we don’t have the time. We have kids, jobs, homes, relationships, dirty clothes, meals to prepare, dishes to do and all the wonderful other things that women do on a daily basis. We constantly juggle deadlines and budgets, try to take care of ourselves and our families, and often don’t even sleep well to be rested for another day of responsibilities and expectations. Here’s our girlfriend advice for being a better friend and maintaining a life/ friendship balance.
- Be the Friend who BELIEVES in Her: By spending time with our girlfriends, we remember why we need our FRIENDS and how we should strive to #BeABetterFriend 😉 — GIRLFRIENDS BELIEVE IN US! Between the advice and sharing, build on the years of trust and support, was the wonderful girlfriend gift of love and support. Bottom line: she believes in me and my dreams, and I do the same for my girlfriend.
- Be a Better LISTENER: Listening is a key component to any friendship or relationship. It’s taking an active role in conversations by asking questions, probing and sometimes just quietly noting your words and thoughts. It’s so vital to friendships that I thought it would be good to possibly ‘touch up’ our listening skills so we can be a better friend. Here are Six Ways to be a Better Listener and enhance your friendships.
- Developing HABITS to be a Better Friend: We can develop HABITS that lead to better friendships – WE CAN. I took some inspiration from The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People in thinking about the habits of great girlfriends. It’s great advice and even applies to female friendship, so here goes … The Seven Habits of Great Girlfriends (Taken from Steven Covey’s book, with a girlfriend slant!)
- Experiencing Girlfriend GRATITUDE: Why do we focus on the things we don’t have rather than the blessings of all the things we do have? Why do we overlook the joy to mainly see the struggle and perhaps injustice in our world? It’s unfortunate but true – we don’t feel near as blessed as we should. And to do so, we have to intentionally look at the positive things in our life – like how our friends support, courage and inspire us. How we can be more intention with our girlfriend gratitude? Being more appreciative of our friendships and thankful for the wonder women in our world.
- Great Girlfriends give THOUGHTFUL GIFTS: It doesn’t have to be expensive or exotic, big or fancy, but the perfect gift from a girlfriend is thoughtful and personal. It could just be special time together or a little gift with a big heart. We love when the women who know us best, give us thoughtful girlfriend gifts that are perfect for us.
- 5 SECRETS of a Great Friendship: Female friendship is THE relationships that makes us healthier, happier, less stressed, live longer and feel more beautiful. (If Oprah sold a pill that delivered these results, EVERYONE would buy them!) So, how can we have great friendships? We’re got a few tips for girlfriends to make life a lot more fun by having friends! (HINT: #1 – Shut up and LISTEN! Right?! Sorry, not sorry!)