You never get a second chance to make a first impression. So what girlfriend advice do we need on that?
September is a special month around Girlfriendology – it’s International Women’s Friendship Month (aka: #FriendshipMonth) and we’re celebrating with 30 great guest blogs filled with fabulous girlfriend advice and wisdom.
Girlfriend Guru Donna Gamache shares great girlfriend advice on how putting our best foot forward influences our feelings of self-worth as well as making an impression on everyone we meet.
We love her idea of a 30-day challenge for looking and feeling great. (Mascara as a prerequisite for housework? Yes, if it means we can look like the “after” shot below….) How about it? Will you try the challenge with us?
It’s interesting that even though we don’t like to label ourselves as judgmental, we all do it. We judge a book by its cover, a house by its curb appeal, a product by its label, and people by their appearance. In a perfect world this is not the way it should be. We should look past what is on the outside and embrace what is on the inside. The reality is that we don’t live in a perfect world. Studies show that people decide whether they want to move forward with a relationship (business or personal) based on first impressions and since you only have three seconds to make one … it needs to be a good one. How else are they going to find out how wonderful you are on the inside?
Studies also show that your appearance matters even when no one else sees you. Think of all the times you see your reflection during the day (mirrors, elevator doors, windows, screens, etc.). Seeing your reflection either gives you a good feeling or a negative feeling about your personal self. We all deserve to feel good about ourselves. As women, we are so busy taking care of everyone else and many times we don’t take time for ourselves. The little time you spend putting on makeup, fixing your hair, and putting on something that fits your personal style and shape will actually give you a new found confidence and actually make your day run smoother.
Don’t believe me? Take the 30-day appearance challenge. No matter what you are doing or where you are going (yes, even if you work in a home office or stay home with your children), I challenge you to take time to put on makeup, fix your hair, and put on something that makes you feel good about yourself. You deserve to feel good about yourself all the time! Go ahead, take the challenge, and see for yourself. This woman did and I think you can see for yourself what a difference it has made in her life.
DONNA GAMACHE, speaker, author, and coach works with clients to help them create a Powerful Presence. Donna combines her personal experiences as an image consultant, boutique owner, representative for two designer lines of clothing, and the work she has done with entrepreneurial women as Executive Managing Director of eWomenNetwork to help professionals define who they are on the inside so they buy levitra medication present themselves authentically. She has two published books and hosts the monthly Gamache Panache radio show.
What first impression do you want to make? How are you doing that? Are you intentional about your personal and professional style? Share your girlfriend advice below!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
Note: It’s September – International Women’s Friendship Month (#Friendship Month) and we’re celebrating all month long! From this interview and guest blog by Miss America, to a month of women’s wisdom and 30 guest blogs, to our Newsletter Sign-up Contest and Facebook fun, and more! Don’t miss out on any of it! SIGN UP for our Newsletter and ‘Like’ us on Facebook to stay up to date with all the fun friendship festivities and more!
Our September Friendship Month Guest Blogs so far …
- Sept 1 – MISS AMERICA, Teresa Scanlan – The Importance of Friendship
- Sept 2 – Shasta Nelson, GirlfriendCircles – Friendship in Stages – Advice for more Meaningful Friendships
- Sept 3 – Kimberly Anderson, Kim’s Closet TV – Giving back to your community with a Friend
- Sept 4 – Lynn Gasior, Cabin Chicks – Girlfriend Memories and Traditions
- Sept 5 – Rachel Awes, Artist – The Art of Girlfriends
- Sept 6 – Flo Schell, Joyful Aging – Heartfelt Advice on Friendships
- Sept 7 – Cherie Burbach, author, About.com editor – How to Understand Your Girlfriend’s Health Problems
- Sept 8 – Susan Mallery, best-selling author – Three Lessons a Girlfriend Can Learn from Tim Gunn
- Sept 9 – Elizabeth Patch, artists, body image Girlfriend Guru – Conversations with Ourselves
- Sept 10 – Donina Ifurung, On High Heels – Girls and the Art of Togetherness
- Sept 11 – Jennifer Buehlre Williams, Mom / Journalist – A Mom’s / Girlfriend’s Point of View of 9/11
- Sept 12 – Shanae Miller, Single Southern Mommy – Girlfriend Advice from Deep in the Heart
- Sept 13 – Kristin Peoples, CouponScribbles – Five Ways to Organize for Back to School Frenzy
- Sept 14 – Kimberley Freeman, author – Mary-Rose and the Mountain, A Tale of Two Girlfriends
- Sept 15 – Julie Anderson, Oh! Shoes Brand Ambassador – Buying Shoes can Change the World
- Sept 16 – Renee Yemme, Girlfriend Guru Innergy – Girlfriend Advice for De-Stressing
- Sept 17 – Janet DeVito, Girls on a Cruise – Spending Time to Nurture Friendships
- Sept 18 – Miss Kitty Plum, Plums Lingerie – A Brief Guide to Panties, Girlfriend Guru
- Sept 19 – Steph Staszko, legal advice – Savvy Safety Tips for a Girls’ Night Out
- Sept 20 – Kandi Jaeger, uterine cancer advocate – Girlfriend Update from Uterine Cancer Survivor
- Sept 21 – Chrissy Scott-Hynes, Coupon Clip Shop – Start using Coupons to Save Money
- Sept 22 – Britt Michaelian, Social Media Girlfriends – Do Twitter Followers + Facebook Friends = Real Friends?
- Sept 23 – Cathy Perry, Real Estate Concierge – Girlfriend Advice for having your BFF as your Realtor
- Sept 24 – Patty Brisben, Pure Romance – Five Tips for Being a Better Friend
- Sept 25 – Kathlene Mullens, Female Equality Matters – Traveling with Girlfriends, Tips for Fun Travel with Friends
- Sept 26 – Donna Gamache, Personal Style Guru – Appearance Matters when No One Else Sees You