Oh, the joy of looking into the closet and seriously, truly, not being able to find anything that matches anything else. Or, nothing that works for the occasion. Or nothing that…well, we’ve all been there, right?
Girlfriend Guru and style expert DONNA GAMACHE shares her tips for developing our personal style. Not only does having a defined personal style help us stand out (in a good way), it will make it easier to put all those outfits together.
For me, it is not about fashion runway looks or keeping up with how movie stars dress. It is all about having a personal style that helps you stand out in work and at play. Why is this more “polished” look so essential to your success at work, at home, and when you are out meeting others? It is what sets you apart from others; it is your personal brand to the world. What is yours saying about you? Is your “look” conveying the message you want others to get?
Let’s face it, today’s economy is getting better and we are all so happy about that but it still may be tough to find your ideal job, move up the corporate ladder, or get more clients. So, what makes the difference in who gets the ideal job, promotion, or more clients? It’s you! It’s your personal brand! It’s how you present yourself! It is how confident you feel!
What builds confidence is knowing who you are on the inside and being yourself in every situation. Authenticity comes from knowing who you are on the inside and then dressing in a way that reflects that on the outside. I love this quote from Epictetus “Know, first, who you are; and then adorn yourself accordingly.” Oh how true it is.
A more “polished” look means dressing your body in clothes that reflect your personal style and fit your body shape. Follow these simple tips to make your look more “polished.”
- Know your personal style. Knowing how to dress authentically is key to conveying a message of confidence. Don’t know your personal style? Visit www. DonnaGamache.com and get your free personal style analysis.
- Dress professionally in your personal style. Have the basics in your closet: suit, pant, skirt, jacket, top. Choose a neutral color for your basic wardrobe pieces and then add splashes of your personality through color, pattern, and style.
- Look the part. You have probably heard that one before but it is so true. Dress for the job you want not the job you have. Dress the way your boss dresses or better. And, if you are a business owner, dress the way your prospect or client dresses or better. This is sure to help you stand out in the workplace.
- Get a great fit. Make sure you have a good tailor that can custom fit your clothes. This is key to helping you look your very best. An ill-fitting pant, jacket, or suit will just look cheap and sloppy. A perfect fitting pant, jacket, or suit will make you look pulled together and professional.
DONNA GAMACHE, speaker, author, and coach works with clients to help them create a Powerful Presence. Donna combines her personal experiences as an image consultant, boutique owner, representative for two designer lines of clothing, and the work she has done with entrepreneurial women as Executive Managing Director of eWomenNetwork, to help professionals define who they are on the inside so they present themselves authentically. She has two published books and hosts the monthly Gamache Panache radio show.
What defines your personal style girlfriend?
Thanks Girlfriend Guru Donna for your great fashion advice, like your previous Girlfriend Guru posts:
- Three Massive Mistakes Women make when Shopping
- Get Paid to Purge your Closet
- Update your Spring/Summer 2012 Fashion
- Personal Style – with a Dash of Red (For Valentine’s Day)
- Fit to be Styled
- Quick Changes for Festive Holiday Looks
- True Beauty – 5 Steps to a Beautiful You
- Appearance Matters
- Trendy ways to wear Animal Prints.
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?
THANKS to our BIG 2012 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). And our July sponsor of Fridays – The Wine Sisterhood (check them out on Twitter and Facebook too). And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!