And the best way to appreciate your friends is to imagine yourself without one! If you’re lucky enough to combine the two, friends at your job, you’re pretty dang lucky!
Being able to work (as well as play) with real friends is wonderful when everything is going well, but can be a real challenge if something goes awry. Guest blogger CHRISTINE MADDOX shares her thoughts on how to make a friendship prosper at work.
Having girlfriends at work is a huge blessing. They can be someone to rely on, laugh with, and talk to during the long hours you are in the office. However keeping work friendships alive can be harder than you would think. Here are five tips to be a great girlfriend coworker:
1. Keep Secrets – The most important part of friendships at work is keeping secrets. The boss and your other coworkers do not need to know what you and your girlfriend talked about when you were both slightly tipsy this weekend. They also do not need to hear about your past exploits if you, for example, went to the same college together. Keeping secrets is the first step in being a good girlfriend coworker.
2. Work at Work – Many workplaces have different rules about how much ‘chatting’ is okay during the day. However, you should respect your coworker’s time and keep yourself from talking too much about topics unrelated to work. Although it can be fun to plan the next party or dish about the latest Facebook post, you should save it for breaks or lunch time and keep your mind on your work.
3. Share – One big thing that comes up when you have a friend at work is that other coworkers can feel excluded. Instead of making your friend your only work contact, make sure you allow yourself and your friend time to connect and make buy phentermine japan friends with your other coworkers and even your boss.
4. Keep it Professional – All friendships have rough spots, times when you are arguing or not getting along. However, you should work to keep any animosity out of the workplace. This is not the time to bring up what they did wrong or have a fight in the middle of the office. Instead keep calm and stay professional. Work out your issues outside of the workplace and in private.
5. Make Time Outside of Work – A trap that many girlfriend coworkers fall into is seeing too much of each other at work. They think that spending time talking about work stuff is going to make their friendship last. However if you do not make plans outside of work then your friendship can’t grow.
These are just a few of the ways that you can be a great girlfriend coworker. Remember to stay professional in the workplace and make time to reconnect outside of work. Only then can you form long, lasting, and healthy friendships.
CHRISTINE MADDOX is pursuing her Master’s degree from University of Texas as well as blogging for www.4nannies.com. She loves to write anything related to parenting, kids, nanny care etc. She can be reached via email at: christine.4nannies @ gmail.com.
Other ways to BE A BETTER FRIEND …
- Start GIRLFRIEND TRADITIONS – fun ‘excuses’ to get together with your BFFs!
- Show Kindness – Be the Friend who is there for others
- Do Special Things for your Friends – like bake and share this Crockpot Pumpkin Bread!
THANKS to our 2013 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
Note: Girlfriendology does share affiliate links from time to time. However, we only recommend products that we’d honestly share with a girlfriend.