Making friends can be difficult as you get older. Between working, taking care of your children, or just general busywork, it’s hard finding the time to meet new people and make new friends with women your own age. You don’t want to come off as pushy or too excitable about making friends, but you still want to have that camaraderie with your peers. Whether you’re extroverted or introverted, you still have the chance to get out there and make friends in a low-pressure environment.
Guest blogger ADRIENNE ERIN shares her girlfriend advice on 5 Low-Pressure Ways to Make New Friends
1. Do Local Community Theater – If you enjoy performing or being in front of people, community theater is a great way to get to know other people in your local area. There are so many different options for you to pursue — cheery musical theater, edgy dramas, or goofy plays — and many companies are always looking to get more people involved in their shows.
You’ll get the chance to work with many different people and form friendships with them throughout the rehearsal process. Look up the community theaters in your local area. Don’t forget to bring along a monologue of your choice for your audition to meet some new people.
2. Take a Yoga Class – If the performing arts don’t interest you but you still want to be active, yoga classes can introduce you to new people. Yoga studios already have a relaxed mood, so you’ll feel less stress when interacting with your fellow classmates.
While yoga itself is individualized, you’re still in a class with a dozen other people who have at least one similar interest with you. Strike up a conversation about yoga with one of your classmates and see how the conversation progresses.
3. Join a Monthly Club – Monthly meetings are a nice way to socialize with other women without the stress of too much pressure. Simply attend the meeting once a month to discuss your shared interests. These events are nice because even if you have a busy schedule, you can usually set aside an hour each month for the chance to relax with your friends.
While the most common monthly meetings are book clubs, you have other options. For example, you can join a loose leaf tea of the month club if you enjoy trying new teas or a cooking club if you want to experiment with different recipes.
4. Attend a Speed Friending Event – If you’re someone who thrives off of constant interaction, speed-friending events are the choice for you. While you may think of speed dating, the two activities are similar only in that you meet people in a short time frame. You would attend a speed friending event, usually set up like a relaxed party, where you can interact with people through fun games and casual conversation. This is a nice way to meet multiple people at once, instead of forming friendships one person at a time.
5. Volunteer – Non-profit organizations are always looking for volunteers to help with the work. Find an organization where can i buy keppra without a prescription that you feel passionately about such as rescuing animals or saving the environment, and then sign up to help. You’ll be working with people who have the same interests as you and are striving for the same goals as you. In addition to doing some good in your community, you’ll be able to form friendships with your fellow volunteers.
Forming friendships takes time — very rarely do you instantly find a best friend. However, the biggest thing to remember when you’re making friends is to find common interests. Mutual interests can help keep things low-pressure. You’ll be able to find out more about these people once you have that connection. Your options for meeting and making friends are limitless. But you have to take the first step and put yourself out there to make it happen.
ADRIENNE ERIN is a freelance writer and avid designer who loves blogging about the things she’s passionate about. If you want to see stuff she’s written about design, look no further than her blog, Design Roast.
This week on Girlfriendology:
- Reconnecting with Girlfriends | Guest Post from Allison Foster
- Girlfriend Advice for When You’re Sad over Happy Things
- Higher Interest Rates … Good or Bad News? Financial Guru Miata Edoga
- 5 Little Friendship Reminders that make a BIG Difference | Be a Better Friend
Girlfriend Advice on Making New Friends
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!