Thinking about traveling with girlfriends? Had a difficult journey with friends in the past?
September is a special month around Girlfriendology – it’s International Women’s Friendship Month (aka: #FriendshipMonth) and we’re celebrating with 30 great guest blogs filled with fabulous girlfriend advice and wisdom.
Kathlene Mullens shares great tips on keeping traveling with your friends fun for everyone.
Having trotted the globe with my best friend, I have a few bits of advice to share that have helped us over some rough spots as well as to avoid future bumps in the road (or the air, whichever the case may be).
1. Decide what does and does not work for you before you firm up plans. Some of my friends are okay with sharing a room (or even a bed) for the sake of economy—some are not. Some of us rock stand-by and pray for those “bump-me-in-exchange-for-travel-vouchers” moments where others need that confirmed ticket and solid plans. Lots like to dance the night away, others explore history’s mysteries. Discuss what works and does not for you before you go. Tears in the airport are best left for fond fare-thee-wells, not girlfriend drama!
2. C’est l’amor… or not. Talk about what happens if one or both of you finds someone with whom to share some magical evening. Remember, girlfriends are protective of one another so discuss how you can let one another know that you’re safe and when you’ll meet up if you decide to part ways. Or is this a trip for “just the girls”? Talk it through. Set expectations.
3. Once everyone is on board, be flexible to adapt to changes in plans as needed but keep your commitments. If it’s girls only, don’t change the rules partway through the trip when you meet some piece of hotness. If you want or need to make changes, talk them through
4. Take care of your obligations before you go—have enough cash and credit, your passport (with enough valid time left on it for where you’re visiting) and any visas needed, etc. in plenty of time for the trip. Don’t stress everyone out with needless drama. (You can find out about these requirements on the official websites of the countries you’ll be visiting. They vary widely and sometimes change suddenly. Check up beforehand!)
5. Be honest. To quote Randy Paush: Tell the truth. All the time. If you want to do something, say so. If you don’t, say so. If you have financial, moral, or physical limits, spill ’em, girl. Not even the closest of friends will be able to read your mind (if they are, have them contact me–I need some minds read, thanks). Passive aggressive behaviors after the fact will spoil the trip for both of you. Speak up early in the game! This is your girlfriend—you can work through things in a safe place, right?
Keep these big five in mind and you’ll sail smoothly through girlfriend travel and look back at those photos with fondness, not gritted teeth! Bon voyage!
KATHLENE MULLENS, MLHR, SPHR is the founder and CEO of Female Equality MattersTM, The “No Glass Ceiling” Certification/Brand©. With over a decade of HR experience in four Fortune 100 companies, as well as a master’s and senior certification in the discipline, Kathlene is using that expertise in diversity, recruiting, line HR, employee development, and technology to help leverage the power of consumer spending to yield more women, with more equitable pay, in the C-suite and board rooms. Check out Kathleen on Facebook and Twitter.
Have you traveled with your girlfriends? Any girlfriend advice on great trips with your BFF(s)?
More women’s travel blog posts:
- A Royal Trip – Girlfriends travel together to the Royal Wedding
- Our Girlfriend Cruise to Bermuda – and we’re going again in 2012!
- Plan a Girlfriend Trip – get away with your favorite girls!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
Note: It’s September – International Women’s Friendship Month (#Friendship Month) and we’re celebrating all month long! From this interview and guest blog by Miss America, to a month of women’s wisdom and 30 guest blogs, to our Newsletter Sign-up Contest and Facebook fun, and more! Don’t miss out on any of it! SIGN UP for our Newsletter and ‘Like’ us on Facebook to stay up to date with all the fun friendship festivities and more!
Our September Friendship Month Guest Blogs so far …
- Sept 1 – MISS AMERICA, Teresa Scanlan – The Importance of Friendship
- Sept 2 – Shasta Nelson, GirlfriendCircles – Friendship in Stages – Advice for more Meaningful Friendships
- Sept 3 – Kimberly Anderson, Kim’s Closet TV – Giving back to your community with a Friend
- Sept 4 – Lynn Gasior, Cabin Chicks – Girlfriend Memories and Traditions
- Sept 5 – Rachel Awes, Artist – The Art of Girlfriends
- Sept 6 – Flo Schell, Joyful Aging – Heartfelt Advice on Friendships
- Sept 7 – Cherie Burbach, author, About.com editor – How to Understand Your Girlfriend’s Health Problems
- Sept 8 – Susan Mallery, best-selling author – Three Lessons a Girlfriend Can Learn from Tim Gunn
- Sept 9 – Elizabeth Patch, artists, body image Girlfriend Guru – Conversations with Ourselves
- Sept 10 – Donina Ifurung, On High Heels – Girls and the Art of Togetherness
- Sept 11 – Jennifer Buehlre Williams, Mom / Journalist – A Mom’s / Girlfriend’s Point of View of 9/11
- Sept 12 – Shanae Miller, Single Southern Mommy – Girlfriend Advice from Deep in the Heart
- Sept 13 – Kristin Peoples, CouponScribbles – Five Ways to Organize for Back to School Frenzy
- Sept 14 – Kimberley Freeman, author – Mary-Rose and the Mountain, A Tale of Two Girlfriends
- Sept 15 – Julie Anderson, Oh! Shoes Brand Ambassador – Buying Shoes can Change the World
- Sept 16 – Renee Yemme, Girlfriend Guru Innergy – Girlfriend Advice for De-Stressing
- Sept 17 – Janet DeVito, Girls on a Cruise – Spending Time to Nurture Friendships
- Sept 18 – Miss Kitty Plum, Plums Lingerie – A Brief Guide to Panties, Girlfriend Guru
- Sept 19 – Steph Staszko, legal advice – Savvy Safety Tips for a Girls’ Night Out
- Sept 20 – Kandi Jaeger, uterine cancer advocate – Girlfriend Update from Uterine Cancer Survivor
- Sept 21 – Chrissy Scott-Hynes, Coupon Clip Shop – Start using Coupons to Save Money
- Sept 22 – Britt Michaelian, Social Media Girlfriends – Do Twitter Followers + Facebook Friends = Real Friends?
- Sept 23 – Cathy Perry, Real Estate Concierge – Girlfriend Advice for having your BFF as your Realtor
- Sept 24 – Patty Brisben, Pure Romance – Five Tips for Being a Better Friend
- Sept 25 – Kathlene Mullens, Female Equality Matters – Traveling with Girlfriends, Tips for Fun Travel with Friends