We’re talking HEALTH and GIRLFRIENDS today – the two, like the photo to the right, go hand in hand! Here’s some great healthy girlfriend advice on Healthy Starts Made Simple: The Power of 10:
You hit the snooze button one too many times this morning, got handed a new project at 4:45 p.m. or used up your lunch break buying a gift for a friend. No matter the reason, many people have a hard time finding a solid 30-minute window to exercise. But finding 30 minutes to get your heart pumping each day is crucial for maintaining good health, say the experts.
Here’s the good news: It turns out that quick, 10-minute workouts sprinkled throughout your day may be even more beneficial for your heart health than one half-hour sweat fest. In studying the health effects of shorter workout sessions, researchers from Arizona State University assigned one group three 10-minute walks a day and another group a single 30-minute walk. They found that doing multiple mini-sessions is a smarter strategy for blood pressure control: The 10-minute-at-a-time exercises not only reduced their systolic blood pressure (that’s the top number) during the day and evening (similar to the 30-minute group) but also continued to benefit from a lower BP the following day.
Why do these shorter strolls yield a longer-lasting benefit? Walking — even for a short period — lowers blood pressure after each bout, so you wind up with a more pronounced reduction by walking three times each day compared with just one. To reap the greatest decrease, walk at a quick pace. That means you should be able to keep up one end of a conversation with some moderate huffing and puffing. If you haven’t exercised before or it’s been a while, talk to your doctor before starting a new fitness routine.
- During work: Suggest a walk-and-talk meeting to discuss a project. Chances are your co-workers could use an excuse to break away from their desks too.
- On your lunch break: You have got to stop to eat at some point, so why not brown-bag it to save time at the lunch counter? Then use those 10 minutes you save by walking around the building or up the stairwell.
- Before your coffee date: Plan to arrive early so you can do a few laps around the block.
- After work but before dinner: Walk while the chicken is in the oven.
- When it’s time to call your parents or kids at college: Don your ear buds, pocket your cell phone and hit the sidewalk.
- In the parking lot: Yes, it may sound cliche, but parking a little bit out of the way counts too!
One more thing to keep in mind: These tips are most beneficial when combined with a heart-healthy diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol and rich in fruits, vegetables and grain products that contain some types of dietary fiber.
Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and BE MY FRIEND.
― Albert Camus
And, of course, we totally recommended walking with a friend!
HEALTHY RESOURCES WE RECOMMEND:
- Fitbit Activity Tracker – make being healthier a daily challenge (in a good way!)
- Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes – Having a healthy meal waiting when you get home from work can stop you from snacking while making dinner!
- 150 Calorie Cocktails – Celebrate your successes with a low-cal beverage!
- Yoga for Beginners and Beyond – DVDs to help you/her stretch and get stronger! (I’ve just started doing yoga again and it feels so good!)
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!