This is just one sharing of girlfriend advice in the NEW FREE eBook “The Girlfriendology Guide to Holiday Girlfriend Advice.” Thanks ROAD WARRIORETTE for sharing. (And check out the free eBook full of recipes, tips, ideas, frugal advice and more – all shared by girlfriends for the Holidays – and share with your friends too!)
Six Tips for Stress-Free Holiday Travel
Ah, the holidays. Gifts, carols, parties, family, and cookies. Sounds great, right? If you have to travel to see loved ones, you may think more about overcrowded airplanes, screaming children, and delayed flights. Don’t worry! Although a lot of holiday-time travel issues are out of your control, here are six ways to make it as stress-free as possible.
Before you go:
1) Plan ahead. The most important thing! Take a little time to plan everything and your trip will be much smoother. Print out your itinerary and any hotel and car confirmations. Keep your travel documents together (with passports, if needed). Finally, arrive early at the airport—even business travelers (notorious for arriving at the last second) get there earlier than usual this time of year. If you’re not a regular traveler, check the TSA website (tsa.gov) to see what the current travel regulations are. One recent change that I am super excited about is that deodorant, mascara, and lip gloss don’t have to go in your liquids bag.
2) Don’t check your bag. I know it can be hard with all those gifts, but if it’s possible, carry on your suitcase. (Make sure it fits within your airline’s carry-on guidelines.) Use packing cubes, bring things that can be worn again, and utilize your family’s laundry facilities. It’s completely worth it.
3) Plan your clothes around one color family, i.e. black or brown. Then bring pants, shoes, and accessories that fit into it. This will allow you to mix and match all of your tops with all of your bottoms, creating endless outfit possibilities.
4) Minimize your toiletries. Yes, ladies, it is possible to pack toiletries for a week in a quart size plastic bag! Get thee to Aveda, Amazon, or Target and get refillable 3 oz. bottles. Fill them with your usual products and you will be good to go! My best tip: use spare contact lens cases for small amounts of liquids, like moisturizer, face wash, makeup remover, hair creams, etc.
5) Utilize FedEx or the UPS Store. If you have a bunch of gifts to take, consider shipping them ahead. Your travel day will be much easier, and you won’t worry about the airline losing your bag of gifts. (Which unfortunately happened in my family. We call it the year the airline ruined Christmas.)
6) Sail through security. Since you already have everything ready, it will be a breeze to get your stuff in the bins and through the X-ray machine. The rules vary slightly by airport, so listen to the TSA agent while you’re in line. Once you’re through, grab your belongings and move out of the way. There will be benches or tables nearby so you can put everything back in your suitcase.
Remember that there are a lot of infrequent travelers this time of year. Combine that with possible weather delays, and there’s potential for travel frustration. Breathe deeply, and know everyone is doing the best they can, including you. Keep in mind the end goal: time with loved ones, or maybe a great end of year vacation. Either way, it’s worth it!
Road Warriorette is a professional woman who travels for work, a lot, from her home base in Texas. Because of her million-plus miles flown and extensive travel experience, the Road Warriorette wants to share valuable tips and tricks she has learned, in hopes to teach the world about how to be good fellow travelers. She writes a blog, RoadWarriorette.com, for her fellow women business travelers. She has been quoted in many major news outlets, including the New York Times, MSN, The Travel Channel, Fox News. In addition to writing and travel, both professionally and recreationally, she enjoys knitting, yoga, and spending time with her husband, the Home Warrior, and their dog, Jambi.
Any Girlfriend Advice for traveling over the Holidays? Share!
More FREE Girlfriend Advice in the NEW and FREE eBook – The Girlfriendology Guide to Holiday Girlfriend Advice. Lots of frugal info as well as ways to network over the holidays (for a better job in the new year), ways to de-stress your holidays and more!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ – check it out! Don’t forget to make your girlfriends feel special with perfect birthday gifts for women!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 60,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes & did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?
THANKS to our 2013 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
Note: Girlfriendology does share affiliate links from time to time. However, we only recommend products that we’d honestly share with a girlfriend.