Even if we might not let on, our milestone birthdays (birthdays ending in zero) are always the most highly anticipated, feared, sometimes dreaded – and quite often most fun and memorable birthdays in our lives. Fun and memorable because there’s one thing we can always count on – our girlfriends coming to our rescue on these important milestone birthdays, making the day a special one.
To accomplish that momentous memorable experience is no easy task. So whether you’re taking on the mission of planning something simply special for a friend’s zero birthday, or have one coming up yourself, here are: 6 fabulous fun ideas for you to consider.
6 Milestone Ideas to Celebrate Milestone Birthdays!
1. Paint your way out of that corner. Join your girlfriends in a “paint and sip” evening and brush your way into a great zero birthday frame of mind. Put together a painting party with a few of a bunch of your friends and go home with your very own masterpiece to mark the special birthday. You’ll paint and party with your girlfriends at bar or restaurant near you, inspired and instructed by a local artist who will take you through tricks and techniques in creating a work of art – a work that your girlfriends will share. Here’s some info – paintnite.
2. Take a birthday ride for a great life segue. A segue is defined as “making an uninterrupted transition,” kind of like the one you’d want between a something-nine year and a zero birthday. Why not experience that segue on a Segway? This amazing piece of balance technology transport has gained great popularity as an amazing group activity. If you’re in or near a major metropolitan area, chances are good that there are several different Segway tours available. Tour a lakefront or a downtown, it’s all about keeping a great balance in your life and sharing that two-wheeled experience with your girlfriends. Click to find a Segway Tour near you.
3. Do what the guys do! Those traditional bastions of “guys’ night out” aren’t just for the boys. Why not bust into the boys club and find out how much fun these guy get-togethers can be. Get the girls together and get your carnivore on at a local steak joint. We’re talking red meat and great wine and a la carte sides that you’ll definitely want to split. And don’t get lured into the “queen cut” filet – it’s your special day so go for that marvelously marbled rib eye or Big Apple-sized New York strip.
Or keep the boy’s night out idea a little close to home and have a classic poker party. Learn your girlfriends’ poker playing tells and twitches as you bluff your way into winning and find out how going all in can be a wonderful BFF bonding experience. Yes, play for money – (change) it brings out the best in the experience. In any event, it’s your day. Cigars are optional!
4. Create a Chick-Flick Sleepover. We’ve all got our favorite chick flicks, from romantic comedies to outright tear-jerkers. Kick the chick-flick experience up a notch and create a marvelous movie marathon that will run well into the night. Get together with your girlfriends ahead of time and pick out four or five of your all time favorites. DVDs, Netflix or movies-on-demand are all options. Be sure to plan some time between feature films for food and critical discussion. Take that discussion well into the night and cap things off with the girlfriend classic that never goes out of style: sleepover!
5. Create the magic of a Moveable Feast. A memorable meal is always a part of an amazing birthday experience. Celebrate your progress in lice with an all-play progressive dinner party! This event works well with a good-sized (15-20) group of girlfriends. First, pick a food theme: Mediterranean, comfort food, 50’s, movies. Get creative right from the start. Then pick the progressive meal locations, three works really well, with hors d’oeuvres first, followed by the main course at location two and of course, a selection of delectable desserts (including birthday cake!). Finally, divvy up the dishes so that everyone participates in the joy of cooking for your special day!
6. Countless Gifts. My girlfriend Carole does this with her ‘Diva Girls Group.’ Every milestone birthday by a Diva is celebrated with tiny gifts that equal her milestone age. Everything from little gifts of nail polish or candy, to fun girlfriend gifts like pictures of the group together or tickets to a concert to go together, the milestone birthday is celebrated with age-less friends in a wonderful, happy way!
Whatever chick-centric special event you chose to mark the moment, the important thing to remember is that planning a special, nay, a momentous occasion milestone birthday doesn’t happen overnight. I’m all for completely spontaneous girlfriend get-togethers but there are times, like milestone birthdays, when a little (or a lot) of preplanning makes for a smooth running, memorable and marvelous event that EVERYONE can enjoy.
What are your ideas or stories on celebrating a milestone birthday? Share and inspire other women!
Here’s some more birthday inspiration for a milestone birthday or one that ends in whatever number!