There is something that shifts this time of year–do you feel it, girlfriend? Whether or not you have children, whether or not those children are school-age, whether or not those school-age children are insisting they need THAT SPECIFIC item, there is something about Back-to-School time that gives all of us the start-of-a-new-year feeling.
I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework. ~Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann
It’s also a great time to pick up supplies for school, work, or just around your home. We love the one-cent sales. We love them so much, they sometimes lead to overstocking on things. Girlfriend Guru MIATA EDOGA has some great tips for controlling back-to-school spending. We think they’re pretty good tips for all kinds of purchases.
Back to school time is here again.
It seems like I was just bringing cupcakes to school for the end-of-year party. Now we’re .headed to the store for new clothes, backpacks, and school supplies.
Here are my favorite tips for back-to-school time:
1) Set a budget. Nothing prioritizes your spending better than the big bad “b” word. Write down how much you have available to spend, and then write out each item you’ll need.
2) Invest in the Sunday newspaper. If your budget is tight, grab a Sunday paper to find the best specials. I usually don’t use the newspaper anymore, but when it’s time to shop, I grab the inserts and begin comparison shopping.
3) Try alternate and online shops. There are unique ideas from people on websites like Etsy, if you’re looking for an unusual item for your child’s wardrobe or supply needs. Consignment and used clothing stores can cut your costs dramatically, too.
4) Investigate whether your state has a back-to-school sales tax holiday to help people save money on supplies. Check out the Federation of Tax Administrators website for a list of all state tax holidays. If so, shop on those days for additional savings. Usually stores will align deals with tax holidays for additional discounts.
5) If you’re buying a laptop or new computer for the school year, consider waiting. Shopping site dealnews.com reports that the best time of year consistently for deals on technology supplies is between Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and New Year’s Day.
Finally, there are some people who aren’t worried about finding deals or clipping coupons. They’re worried that their children won’t eat or be able to go to the doctor. If you know someone in this situation, read this article from the USA.gov blog for details on how to apply for assistance.
MIATA EDOGA is the President and Founder of Abundance Bound, a 10-year old company committed to utilizing humor, inspiration, and lots of love to give individuals around the world the necessary tools to thrive financially, while keeping focus on the things they treasure most. Visit the Abundance Bound Facebook Page for your free copy of Financial Success for the Creative Soul!
What are your tips for saving money during back-to-school?
More for Back to School Girlfriend Advice:
- The ABC’s of Friendship for Back to School & Girlfriends
- 5 Ways to Make New Friends (for you and your kids) | Back to School Tips
- Back to School Lunches | Girlfriend Advice from Real Life
- Back-to-School Gifts for Girlfriends – Celebrate the end of Summer & the start of School!
- Five Ways to Organize the Back-to-School Frenzy | Girlfriend Advice for Moms
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!