Never be so focused on what you’re looking for that you overlook the thing you actually find.
― Ann Patchett, State Of Wonder
Do you have a BOOK CLUB? If so, what are you reading? Any advice for other girlfriends who have girlfriends?
My girlfriend book club meets this week. We have three rules: 1. The books have to be in paperback/the library. 2. You don’t HAVE to read the book. (It’s a ‘no stress’ book club – we’re really there to see our girlfriends! Which leads us to …) 3. You just have to be there and have fun with your friends.
We love the girlfriend tradition of Book Clubs. It’s a wonderful ‘excuse’ to get the girls together on a regular basis and to enjoy life together.
So, in the spirit of Girlfriendology – and women sharing women’s wisdom, I asked the ‘leader’ of my book club to share her recommendations for book club selections. Thanks Judy for sharing this review for girlfriend book clubs:
State Of Wonder by Ann Patchett
Dr. Marina Singh is a medical researcher for a large pharmaceutical company. She is sent to Brazil to investigate the mysterious death of her lab partner. Marina meets Dr. Annick Swenson who is developing a fertility drug for the company. Dr. Swenson has found a tribe of women in the Amazon who are fertile all of their lives. She is hopeful that a drug developed will solve the problems of millions of infertile women.
Patchett has developed strong characters in Dr. Annick Swenson who is self absorbed but sympathetic; Dr. Marina Sing, who displays a complex mix of traits; and Easter, the endearing young deaf boy. The characters are true to life making good and bad decisions. Every character deals with something – greed, delight, righteousness, love or fear.
State Of Wonder explores the role of doctors in the lives of a native tribe. It asks the question of how far should a pharmaceutical company go in the development of a new drug. It also asks the question – Just because technology has developed to a point where we are able to do things, should we?
State Of Wonder is a great book club book because it raises so many possibilities for discussion.
Thanks Judy! See you this week at Book Club! (What are we reading this month? Austenland – check it out!)
What is YOUR Book Club reading? What’s your favorite Book Club book? Share and inspire!
Other great girlfriend traditions and book club recommendations:
- Wine Pairings for your Book Club Book!
- 10 Girlfriend Traditions You Can Start Today – You’ll be Glad You Did!
- Recipe for a Great Girlfriend Book Club – Appetizers, Wine & Laughter
- Friendship Brunch | New and Old Traditions by Guru Lisa Sarick
- The Girlfriend’s Guide to Book Club Therapy | Guest Blogger Betsy Talbot
- 3rd Day of Friendship – Girlfriend Traditions | Book Club, Ornaments & Lots of Laughter
- Girlfriend Traditions | Book Club, Ornaments & Lots of Laughter
- 5 More Ideas for celebrating Fall & Friends | Autumn Girlfriend Advice
- Books for Women | Book Club Books, Books Women Love
Other great girlfriend ‘stuff’ on Girlfriendology:
- Shoe Review: JustFab Shoes are JUST SO FABULOUS
- Thankful Thursday: Practice Thanksgiving
- Rent or Buy? Home Decision Advice from Guru Miata Edoga
- 5 Fab Jewelry Trends for Fall | Fashion Advice from Guru Donna Gamache
- Month of Gratitude – 10 Ways to Make November even more Special
- Enjoy the ‘Passage of Time’ – Enjoy Life, Enjoy Friends!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ – check it out! Don’t forget to make your girlfriends feel special with perfect birthday gifts for women!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 60,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes & did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?
THANKS to our 2013 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
Note: Girlfriendology does share affiliate links from time to time. However, we only recommend products that we’d honestly share with a girlfriend.