Sadness doesn’t take a holiday, as much as we wish it would. Friends still deal with tough stuff like cancer, death, painful relationships and much more. Women who miss family or friends who are no longer in their lives or aren’t having the type of holidays they always dreamed of. No, sadness doesn’t take a holiday during the holidays. It can darken our holidays or any day, 365 days a year.
This week, in the midst of holiday joy and festivities, life still goes on. My sister’s friend lost her battle with cancer. My high school BFF had double knee replacement. My dear friend had her life turned upside down – without warning or reason. Life, isn’t so happy for their holidays.
I love the quote above. It reminds me of the best holiday gift, all year round – the gift of friendship and the honor of being there for each other.
This Christmas, Hanukkah or whatever you celebrate, pay special attention to the friends whose holidays aren’t so happy. Spend time with them. Celebrate their friendship. Be there for them – even when they’d rather not celebrate any holidays.
I agree with Carol Burnett – I think we’re here for each other. 365 days a year. Year after year after year.
Be a better friend. Be there for your friends whose holiday may not be happy.
More girlfriend inspiration on Girlfriendology …
We’re in the midst of the 12 Days of Friendship:
- Day 8 of 12 Days of Friendship – The Gift of Laughter with a Friend
- Day 7 in 12 Days of Friendship – Sharing Adventures Together
- Day 6 of 12 Days of Friendship | Gift of Girlfriends – Having Things in Common
- Day 5 of 12 Days of Friendship – The Gifts of Friendship and Forgiveness
- Friday Favorite Videos – Animals & the Holidays (Two things we LOVE)
- 6 Holiday Girlfriend Traditions You Can Start This Year!
- 12 Days of Friendship – Day 3: Girlfriend Traditions | Book Club, Ornaments and Lots of Laughter
- 4th Day of Friendship | Celebrating the Gift of Girlfriends, Making Memories
- 5 Ways to De-Stress Your Holidays