Are you positive or do you zap your friends’ energy? Do you consider yourself a positive friend or can you be “Debbie Downer“?
We love the power of positive female friendship, the strength of women who support each other, the amazing energy created around girlfriends who encourage and inspire each other. So today we’re looking at 7 ways to be a More Positive Friend.
Passion is energy. Feel the power that comes from focusing on what excites you. – Oprah Winfrey #quote
Are you the positive, supportive friend who energizes your girlfriends or do you zap their dreams?
Why are we asking a difficult question? Because we want to help, inspire, challenge you to BE A BETTER FRIEND. A great friend energizes you. She sees the best in you and challenges you to be even better. She knows your passions and encourages you to go for your dreams.
Do you do the same for her? Are you the BFF that she calls when her dreams get ‘dusty?’ Are you the woman that helps her re-focus on what excites her? Do you listen to her intently and with an ear to hear what’s really going on? Are you her ‘Positive Friend?’
Here’s 7 Ways to be a more Positive Friend:
1. Life is Short. Be Happy. All it takes is a friend dealing with cancer (which unfortunately almost all of us have at some time) to remind us to be grateful for the blessings in our lives. (One of the best blessings has to be BFFs!) Don’t spend your time on negative thoughts or actions. Look for the good in people. Be intentionally positive. Keep a positive attitude. Friends will find you and enjoy just being around you.
2. Be Grateful. As Oprah said: “Be thankful for what you have; you’ll end up having more.” When we recognize the people and things that bless our lives, we need to consciously be thankful. It impacts our positivity. It draws friends to us. It makes life better in so many ways. (Want ideas on being Grateful?) Keep a Gratitude Journal – even if it is just a daily list of three things for which you’re grateful. Then look back on it periodically. You’ll be even more grateful!
3. Show Up. If you say you’re going to do something, do it – with passion! When you talk with a friend, LISTEN. (And give her time to talk!) If you commit to time with her, make time. And don’t ever inject guilt or doubt. Be in the moment. Be the positive friend she loves and sometimes just needs.
4. Forget Politics, Religion, and Differences of Opinion. Really. If you and your friends don’t see eye to eye on things like politics or religion, DON’T BRING THEM UP. You’re never going to change her opinion and, I speak from experience here, you’re going to cause her to not want to spend time with you. Agree to disagree. Just don’t go there! Stay on positive subjects!
5. Focus on what you have, not what you don’t have. If you look at what you don’t have, you’re sure to get negative. You don’t have the shopping budget Oprah has, you might not have the Sports Illustrated bathing suit body you’d love to have, and I know you can’t eat everything you want and be super healthy. But what do you have? Do you have friends and family who love you? A different perspective on things based on your unique experience and thoughts? Like Oprah said above, be thankful for what you have. Be very thankful. You’re blessed. That’s awesome. That makes for a positive outlook on life.
6. Encourage others. Be the friend who supports their dreams. Be the girlfriend who they can call when they need to laugh instead of cry. Make an intentional effort to look for the best in your friends and their situations. You don’t need to be all ‘Suzy Sunshine’ – unrealistic or syrupy sweet regardless of what you really think, girlfriends want your authentic thoughts. But consider the weight of what you’re sharing – it can make a total difference in their day, life, dreams. Encourage them, kindle their spirit. It will encourage your dreams too!
7. Choose to be positive. We don’t get to choose everything in life – but we do get to choose how we respond to life. We make choices all day that impact our attitude, the way we look at life. Choose to be happy, kind, thoughtful, grateful and positive. And … Love yourself. You deserve it. Live bravely – not in fear.[Tweet “7 Ways to be a More Positive Friend / Be a Better Friend”]
Life’s short. We NEED our friends – and we need to be positive for our friends. We REALLY need our Girlfriends and we need to be positive for them. Be there for each other. Give energy to each others’ dreams. That’s what girlfriends do. We energize each other and are there for each other no matter what!
So that’s our 7 ways to be a More Positive Friend. What are your suggestions? How do you stay positive and be the supportive friend your friends need?
More on positivity and positive friends:
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!