Once again, Valentine’s Day is upon us! Sometimes it’s a good week. Sometimes, not so much. To guarantee a great week, take the time to recognize and celebrate the relationships that show you love and friendship – your girlfriends!
And, if you want to make them feel REALLY special, celebrate all the special gals in your life with GALentine’s Day! (February 13th!)
All you need is LOVE. But a little CHOCOLATE now & then doesn’t hurt. Charles M. Schulz
This season of love can be tough for some girlfriends, so make sure you give them extra time and attention (see the ideas below!). Let them know how much their friendship means to you – at Valentine’s Day and all throughout the year!
Here’s some great girlfriend advice for Valentine’s OR GALentine’s Day:
Do you have a friend who always makes you feel special?
“I don’t make you feel special. I remind you that you are special.” David F Sims
Meet my friend Terri. She is one of the most thoughtful, caring girlfriends that I know. Her birthday gifts for me are always my favorite because she knows what I like and makes an effort in finding the perfect gift for me. She invites us over for dinner and creates a wonderful meal yet makes it very relaxed so we have time to talk and catch up. (Like a fabulous meal we shared last night.) Terri makes me feel like my friendship is special to her – and, as her girlfriend, that’s a wonderful feeling.
What’s funny is that I know that Terri makes all her friends feel special. She goes the extra mile in her thoughtfulness for all her friends – and we’re all honored to be her friend! She inspires me! (And inspired me to write this blog post on how to make your BFF feel special.)
Going the extra mile for our girlfriends is a wonderful way of building into our friendships and being a better friend. So, let’s explore a few ways to be like Terri and be the kind of friend we’d love to have. Let’s highlight 5 ways to make your girlfriends feel as special as their friendship is to you:
1. Pay Attention – Notice what our friends like/don’t like, their personal style, what things they don’t have or need, their favorite things (like favorite singer/actor, store, designer or colors). Note little hints your friend may drop or items she is drawn to when you shop together. Pay attention to what makes her happy. Then use these clues as a guide for selecting girlfriend gifts or planning time together. For example, My friend Cath only wears gold jewelry. So, I make sure to never give her silver bracelets of earrings. Terri often gives me birthday gifts from my favorite gift shop – which connects me with where I used to live (and I love that). Pay attention to little details.
2. Make time for Her – Often with our friends, we’d really rather have memories of times together than having more ‘stuff.’ Spending time together says that we value our friendship enough to shared our most limited resource – the hours in our day. Clear your schedule and focus just on spending time together. Ignore your cell phone. Don’t call into work. Just spend time together – and time enough to get past all the conversations catching up on life and getting to those discussions where we share what’s really going on in our lives and our hopes and dreams. Make memories together – whether it’s going on a girlfriend getaway, a spa day together or just a lazy day sitting on her deck sharing a bottle of wine and talking.
3. Surprise Her – We love surprises – good surprises! Send a hand-written card with a heartfelt message. Give her a gift for no reason – other than you appreciate her and her friendship. Leave a flower bouquet outside her door or at her office. Get a babysitter for her and plan a dinner or adventure together. Leave nice notes on or in her desk or kitchen/bathroom cabinets. Round up your mutual friends for a surprise dinner together. My friend Jill arrived at her girlfriend’s house to find signs (made by her friend’s kids) saying: “Happy Jill-Day!” They made her favorite food, gave her little gifts and made it all about Jill and it wasn’t her birthday. Just a surprise celebration of their friendship. What a great surprise and great girlfriends!
4. Anticipate Her Needs – Is your BFF running her first marathon? Well, that’s a great time to give her a running-themed gift – like a basket of socks, water bottle and running clothes. Is she getting married, having a baby or getting a new job? What girlfriend gifts might make those life transitions easier? Or, what can you do to help her prepare for those changes in her life? If she’s going on vacation, surprise her with some great in-flight/beach reading books/magazine. Does she need some pampering? Plan a spa day or send a long-distance girlfriend some bubble bath and girlie girl gifts. Think about things that she might not buy or do for herself but that would make her feel special – that’s the goal!
5. Allow Her to be Herself – So often we’re busy taking care of others and being who people need us to be. Accept that she may not share your passion for ping-pong or your hobby of knitting – but you can still spend time together and share other interests. Listen, even if it isn’t something you’re super interested in – often we just need to talk with our true, trusted friends and have them listen to us. If your sense of style is radically different, accept that. Don’t give her gifts that you would love, if you know they are things that she wouldn’t want or wear. Accept your differences and acknowledge that you may see things differently and just focus on how special her friendship is to you.
[Tweet “5 Ways to Make Your Friends Feel as Special as their Friendship is to You!”]
Do you have a friend who always makes you feel special?
How does she do that?
How do you make your friends feel special?
What girlfriend gifts have you selected just for your BFF?
How can we be a better friend to our girlfriends?
And, THANKS TERRI for being such a thoughtful, inspiring girlfriend! You ARE SPECIAL. And, You make me want to be a better friend! (-:
Who makes your life better every day of the year? And when (sorry guys) men come and go – who’s there for you?
Show your girlfriend how much you appreciate her by giving her a Valentine’s Day gift to just show your affection, appreciation and admiration for the women who stay by our side no matter what our relationships are – or aren’t! Here are a few great girlfriend gifts for these wonderful women in your life:
Valentine’s Gifts for Girlfriends / Gifts for Women
Sweetheart Tower – Surprise your girlfriend (or sweetheart, or both) on Valentine’s Day with an adorable gift tower filled with delicious sweets and cookies. She’ll have the pleasure of opening three separate gift boxes to find Seattle Milk Chocolate Truffles, Sour Cherry Candy, Watermelon Sours, and Lemon Raspberry Cookies. With each treat more delicious than the last, your girlfriend (or Valentine) is sure to enjoy this unique gift to the very last bite.
More Valentine’s Day gifts for girlfriends …
Pewter Heart with Chocolates – Face it! We women LOVE CHOCOLATE! So here’s a great girlfriend gift filled with a full pound of individually wrapped Seattle Chocolate truffles, a heart shaped pewter candy dish is a sweet and sentimental gift. Wrapped in pretty pink tulle and tied with a satin ribbon, the gift makes quite an impression.
Lavender Bath & Body Spa Gift Basket – Doesn’t your girlfriend deserve a little pampering? Help her indulge herself in relaxation with this lovely assortment of lavender spa delights. She’ll luxuriate with soothing lavender bath salts, shower gel, hand cream, bath fizzers and bath tea. This pretty purple tub also includes a raspberry chocolate biscotti bar, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies and a Ghirardelli dark chocolate raspberry filled bar and square. Relaxing, refreshing and tasty, too!
Sex and the City– What movie did you HAVE to go to with your girlfriends? Make that girlfriend party happen again with this special movie two DVD set of ‘Sex and the City.” Disc 1 contains an extended feature film version (12 additional minutes, 157 minutes total) with extended commentary with director Michael Patrick King. Disc 2 contains a digital copy of the movie plus extra content featuring “Conversation with Sarah Jessica Parker and Michael Patrick King”, “Fabulous Fashion of SATC”, Deleted Scenes and Fergie interview.
Baby Elephant Ring Holder– They say an elephant never forgets, which makes this diminutive silver-plated version a logical partner for helping her remember where she put her rings. The artfully designed elephant makes a delightful addition to her bathroom sink or bedside table. Made of polished silver plate and the elephant’s upturned trunk and tray base hold her rings safely and securely.
Remember, Valentine’s Day is just a great reminder to celebrate the people we love. Celebrate your girlfriends with thoughtful gifts, kind words and special memories made together!
It’s countdown to the holidays and your girlfriends aren’t checked off the gift list yet?
Girlfriends mean the world to you, right? That’s why it’s fun to give each of them the perfect present.
That’s also why it’s sometimes hard to find a gift to express your appreciation for their friendship. And, when we’re still stressing over presents for family and other friends, we can neglect the wonderful women who helped us get through the year with our sanity and beauty! (-; So, we’re here to be your friend with some fun ways to make your favorite females feel special and appreciated. And, we’d love your comments and ideas below!
1. Give the gift of time – Go online and buy tickets to a concert or sporting event that you both would enjoy. Wrap up the tickets (or online confirmation) with a small symbol of the event – like scrapbook stickers featuring her favorite team (whose game you’re going to see together) or a CD of her favorite music along with tickets to an upcoming concert. If tickets aren’t available yet, create your own gift certificate for a fun event together. Just make sure you find something fun to do together that you’ll both look forward to – then remember for years! Or, find a class that you both have wanted to take like yoga, knitting, learning Italian or cooking, and offer to pay her way to it. Find fun things to do together!
2. Girlfriend Gift Certificates – Create your own vouchers for thoughtful or fun activities together in the coming year. Examples: offer to help her clean her house for a party or company, give your number to call when she’d like a meal and a movie delivered, or promise to come help her with her garden (or other things she’s not necessarily thrilled to do!). Manicures together, shopping days, airport transport, dog or cat sitting, raking leaves – whatever she’d appreciate and you can genuinely offer, make a cool gift certificate and give her a stack for fun times together or helping her that you’ll enjoy and she’ll appreciate. (Also, you can email or print Amazon gift cards and have the gift ready immediately. I just used two Amazon gift cards yesterday for some last minute gifts!)
3. Girlfriend Memory Calendar – Have some fabulous photos of you and your favorite females? Create a calendar for your girlfriends and you’ve just made them smile 365 days in a row. FedEx Office (formerly Kinko’s) says: “ It’s not too late to order custom cards and calendars from FedEx Office. Act now and receive free 3-business day delivery.* Hurry – the last day to order for delivery by Christmas is Dec.20.” Go ahead and write in everyone’s birthdays and special days to help her remember you and your wonderful friends.
4. Basket or Stocking of Goodies – Silly little gifts are so fun to receive and open. Personalized to/with her favorite things, she’ll love opening every little package. In addition to you, what else does she love? Use this inspiration to fill a stocking or basket with lotions and bath goodies, supplies for her favorite hobby, spices and recipes for Foodie friends, little framed photos and more. Add chocolates, little coffee/tea treats, gift cards and other fun surprises to make it an it-could-only-come-from-a-great-girlfriend gift!
5. Hit the Road Girlfriends! – There’s just something about getting away from life and spending some quality time with your BFFs! It’s the perfect time of a year for a warm weather get-away with the girls or plan a birthday celebration for later in the year. Not ready to book it yet? Just create a passport or fake airplane ticket with the initial plans and have something fun to look forward to.
Start your own traditions – If the holidays are too hectic, perhaps start your own holiday ritual of celebrating the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day. Or move it entirely to your own holiday. You can even name it (Cathy & Julie’s Celebration Day) and create your own traditions. Plus, if you move it back, you have something to look forward to and a special day and way to celebrate your girlfriendship!
Get Creative Girlfriend! – With our girlfriends, we can be ourselves, right? Well, perhaps that means we can package up a bit of our personality in a custom, creative gift. If you sing, write her a song and send her the MP3. Love poetry or crafting? Create an expression of your friendship and send it to her. If you love to cook, deliver a meal for her and her family. If you’re the Twitter queen (and you all know who you are!), send her a series of wonderful tweets* about her (140 characters or less). (Here’s some tweetable friendship quotes!) Just express yourself as only you can and she’ll love it!
Share YOUR ideas for last-minute gifts for girlfriends!
Christmas Gift Suggestions: To your enemy, forgiveness. To an opponent, tolerance. To a FRIEND, your heart. To a customer, service. To all, charity. To every child, a good example. To yourself, respect. — Oren Arnold
It’s the most wonderful time of the year! It’s the season of showing the people we love, how much we actually do!
Our friends and family make our days and lives. And, thankfully, the holidays give us the reminder to stop and show and share our appreciation for the blessing of their friendship and love.
Inspired by the above quote, we have some ideas for gift ideas for our greatest supporters … things you can’t find in a store, or exchange for another size … gifts that are unique to you and her, and your unique, beautiful friendship!
To BUSY WOMEN, Give the gift of TIME – We’re a gender who take on too much. We rarely say ‘No.’ We are caregivers to our family and friends (and coworkers, neighbors, etc. etc.). Bottom line: we’re BUSY. For girlfriends with too much on their ‘To Do’ list and too little free time, give the gift of time. Run errands for her. (or just go along with her while she does her errands, you’ll both have more fun!) Give a thoughtful, personal gift certificates – like to plant her garden for her, cook for her next dinner party, airport transport for her upcoming travels, or anything that you can do to help her de-stress by taking something off her list.
To FRIENDS WHO ARE STRUGGLING, Give them UNDERSTANDING and SUPPORT – We all have years where we’re the one struggling with sadness over a lost friend, relationship or job. On the years where we’re not the ones struggling, let’s pay special attention to the friends around us who are. The girlfriends who’s relationships have ended, parents have passed, children are distant – they need us. And we need them. Be the friend who listens, who invites them over for a special meal, who lets them talk or cry when they need to. (A few resources: Helping a Girlfriend in a Difficult Situation, Who not to include in your Holidays, and Struggles that make you stronger.)
To FRIENDS WHO MEAN MORE TO US THAN THEY KNOW – Unfortunately, we all get busy, we sometimes don’t express our appreciation and love the way that we should. The holidays are a wonderful time of the year that free us up to be more expressive to friends who make such a difference in our lives. A great idea to tell and show our friends how we consider their friendship a blessing … There is a great video that we shared on our Friday Favorite Videos about writing a letter to someone who really made a difference in our life. Then, they ‘made’ the writer call the person they wrote about and read it aloud to them. It was a beautiful experiment – try it!
We have the opportunity, almost the obligation, to be the kind of friend we’d love to have. Show your friends how much you love them this holiday. It’s the gift you’ll never regret, they’ll cherish and your friendship will continue to grow. Happy Holidays Girlfriends!
“Every gift from a friend is a wish for your happiness.” Richard Bach
The hectic holidays are coming and we’re excited to start shopping for girlfriend gifts! So, to get us started, we’re wishing for a holiday filled with happiness and spent among friends and family we love! Here’s our favorite fun, friend-inspired Christmas and Holiday Girlfriend Gifts:
Love Actually – or other heart-warming movie – We love how all the circles of friends discover the important things during this wonderful holiday movie. What’s your favorite holiday movie? It’s a Wonderful Life? Elf? The Holiday? Share with a girlfriend and start a new tradition of watching it together every year!
Special Jewelry Gift – Whether it’s a piece from this year’s Fall Fashion Jewelry Trends, or something uniquely her style, she’ll wear your gift and think of you all year round. Here’s one of our favorite jewelry gifts for girlfriends: Austrian Crystal Necklace – makes a statement with this beautiful Swarovski teardrop ocean blue stone (& only $16.99!)
Girlfriend Shoes – Sure! You can give shoes! Who wouldn’t want a pair or two or THREE?! Find out her size and look for something perfect for her life style and fashion sense. Like these Sketchers are great for us work-from-home, love-our-yoga-pants women.
Girlfriend Sweaters – I love wearing sweaters in the winter – and the ones I’ve received from a girlfriend keep me especially warm! This two-tone cashmere sweater would make a beautiful holiday gift for a beautiful friend!