It’s not just about romance and chocolate, Valentine’s Day is a fine day to start some traditions for girlfriends – and they can be healthy Valentine’s Day traditions too.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day, Singles Awareness Day, or any day with friends, here are a few healthy ideas on how to celebrate Valentine’s Day with girlfriends:
- Movie Date: Get ready for the 88th Oscars on Feb. 28th by going to see some of the nominated films. Valentine’s Day is on a Saturday so you make a day of it and view several films in a row – in the same cinema! Sneak in some healthy snacks and bottled water to avoid candy and popcorn cravings. Then, go ahead and plan your Academy Awards party for all your girlfriends complete with ballots, prizes, and celebrity fashion judging. To be silly, add interesting categories to the ballot for worst dress, best hair, most skin showing, best body, etc. It makes the red carpet time much more interesting!
- ME Party with Your Girlfriends: Before you can fall in love with someone else, shouldn’t you be in love with yourself? Author Christine Arylo created a “Madly in Love with Me” Day on February 13 to celebrate self-love and independence. Check out her site for ideas on throwing a party with your girlfriends and to download a self-love starter guide as well as a Party Girl guide for creating an event of your own.
- Wii & Wine Party: Combine some girlfriends with a Wii Fit and add some healthy snacks and wine (definitely optional–it could be a Wii and Tea party!), and you’ll have more fun than Cupid. Wear yoga or comfy clothes and bring fresh veggies, hummus, pita and fruit. You’ll have a great time and get in some exercise together. Laughter uses up calories, too, so you might want to make this a weekly or monthly tradition. Get your Wii Fit competition on with prizes for yoga class coupons, a gift certificate to give a girlfriend a manicure or a certificate for a healthy dinner at a later date.
A FRIEND is what the Heart needs all the time. — Henry Van Dyke
- Progressive Dinner Party: Never have enough time to see, much less eat with, your girlfriends? Well, change that in one night by having a dine-around together in each other’s homes. Depending on how many houses are nearby and involved in the party, assign each destination with a healthy meal course–appetizers, soup, salad, main course and light dessert. The focus doesn’t have to be on the food–share healthy tips at each home. Make it an exercise progressive where you start with yoga at one house, walk to another house and have a light meal, then walk to another home for a healthy dessert and finish off the evening with meditation.
- Gratitude Boxes: What is one thing means the most to women without need for a vase or involving any vices? No heart-shaped box or guilty calories–just gratitude! Who better to give appreciation to than our girlfriends, right? Have a party where everyone writes down the things they’re most grateful for about their girlfriends on a sheet of paper and places them in a box for each person. Here’s some Gratitude Box Ideas to personalize the home of these wonderful testimonies of friendship. You’ll cherish that box, and time together, forever.
- Friendship Valentines: Remember those childhood Valentines? Silly dime store cards were how we expressed affection and appreciation toward our friends. Now that we’re grown up, why not pretend we’re not? Give Valentine’s Day cards to all your friends (even the drugstore variety). Combine Valentine’s red with going green by crafting handmade cards from recycled materials or buy cards made from recycled paper. Bake some healthy cookies or create a small bouquet of spring flowers to accompany the card. Just make an effort–big or little. She’ll appreciate it, and your friendship.
- Plan a Girlfriend Trip: Nothing like a tempting beach in your future to get you exercising and eating healthier! Plan your girlfriends getaway now and a fitness routine to prepare you for it. Set realistic goals and inspire each other to reach them. Girlfriends who have a fitness goal and work together are twice as likely to reach their goals than those going it alone (or with spouse). So, get the girls together and make some fun plans for a great girls escape!
Nothing against candy and romance, but Valentine’s Day is a fabulous opportunity to show you care for your gal pals, too! It’s a wonderful time to express your girlfriend gratitude–make a card, share some chocolates or healthy treats, send flowers, phone a friend or just get together. Actually, every month is a fabulous opportunity to celebrate female friendship. Make it a healthy, happy and less-stressed month by spending time with your girlfriends. Happy Valentine’s Day, Girlfriends!
More Valentine’s Day Girlfriend Traditions & Ideas …
- CELEBRATE VALENTINE’S DAY, GALENTINE’S DAY OR JUST CHOCOLATE!
- VALENTINE GIRLFRIEND GIFTS FOR UNDER $25 🙂
- VALENTINE’S DAY & FRIENDSHIP INSPIRED FAVORITE VIDEOS
- 5 VALENTINE’S DAY INSPIRED GIRLFRIEND LESSONS
P.S. NEW this week to Girlfriendology, we’re sharing DAILY FRIENDSHIP QUOTES (because everyone loves Friendship Quotes!). Stop by for your daily inspiration!
A Free Resource Library of Great Girlfriend Advice?!
- Celebration Ideas & checklists
- Friendly Financial Advice
- Tempting Travel tips
- FREE eBooks
- Coloring book pages
- Quotes to share with Friends
^Girlfriend Gift Finder for:
- Birthday Gifts for Women
- Holiday Gifts - Christmas Gifts, Mother's Day Gifts, Valentine's Day Gifts
- Cheer up Gifts, Sympathy Gifts, Just Because Gifts, Congrats, Housewarming, Hostess Gifts & More!
<------- What's NEW in the Free Resource Library?
- 150 Friendship Quotes
- 3 FREE eBooks - including Resumes & Cover Letters
- 2 Inspirational Quote Coloring Book Pages
- JUST ADDED: Tips to make Grocery Shopping Easier
- Girlfriend Trip Beach Recommendations
- Money-saving Tips & Sites
- & more!!