Last week my DH (aka: ‘dear husband’) was out of town. My plan was to diet, exercise and do lots of work. Reality: I did pretty well on my eating healthy (he wasn’t around to spoil me with carbs!) and got the treadmill in a few times as well as a bunch of dog walks. I did work lots but maybe not quite as much as I anticipated.
Why not? My girlfriends. I had a happy hour with Tina, Becky and Lynn. (High high) Wine on the porch with Anne. Another happy hour with the Cincinnati.com LOL Bloggers (thanks Chris & co.!). I had meeting with Bridgett and went to a movie with Penny. All HIGH highs. It was a wonderful way to enjoy the week by reconnecting with so many of my favorite females.
The big HIGH and LOW came on Saturday. I attended a funeral for a friend (former co-worker, super nice guy, dad to five kiddos). So terribly sad. (And kinda freaky because his brother looks exactly like him.) So low, super LOW.
Fortunately I was able to go with my BFF and spend time with her and some other wonderful former co-workers. After the funeral, we spent another hour or so on her sofa talking girl stuff. By the time I left, she had filled a gift bag with make-up and girlie goodies. In the midst of a LOW low was a HIGH high – just for spending time with my dear friend.
My lesson: In high and low times, my girlfriends are there for me. And, I need to make more time for my friends – whether if my DH is home or not. It rejuvenated me and reminded me of how blessed I am to have such great girlfriends.
Girlfriend – spend time with your friends. Be a better friend … because life really is better together with your girlfriends!
Listen to our friend (and girlfriend author) CATHIE BECK on our recent BlogTalkRadio show and you’ll meet a new friend! Read her new book, Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship and you’ll be ready for our August online Book Club! Save the date:
Monday, August 30th from 7-8pm ET
Stop by to the Girlfriendology Book Club Book Store!
This week on Girlfriendology …
* Happy Birthday Girlfriend – Who else remembers all the fun times over the years and still ‘forget’ the actual number? Who other than our fabulous female friends can make us laugh, give us the best birthday gifts (especially if it’s time together) and remind us how life and friendship are to be celebrated?! So, TODAY is YOUR day. All day. Celebrate a year of … Read More »
* Want to know the best Chick Flicks? Ask your girlfriends! Our Girlfriendology girlfriends shared almost 100 great chick flicks that you should see, share, give to a girlfriend. Because … we love to watch them, have them on in the background when we’re cleaning the house or fixing meals. We love to give and receive them. We just LOVE a good romantic comedy, light and silly. We might happen to love an actress (Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Diane Lane, for example) or actor (lots of Hugh Grant, Heath Ledger and Keanu Reeves fans!) that … Read More »
* Fun and Frugal Girlfriend Gifts – Don’t you love to give (and receive!) special gifts to/from girlfriends? You don’t have to have a BIG budget to make a BIG deal over your BFF. Today’s guest blogger (and this Friday’s BlogTalkRadio guest!), NIKKI BALDERAS thinks chocolate cake or chicken pot pie just might be the perfect girlfriend gift to give (and what girlfriend wouldn’t love it?!). So, here’s Nikki’s ‘girlfriend advice on: Giving a girlfriend a gift … just because. Buying for a girlfriend doesn’t always have to be … Read More »
* Be a Better Friend – Five great ways to be a great friend. Are you the kind of friend you’d love to have? Here are five great ways to be a great friend: Shared by our girlfriend author (and fun+ interview!) CATHIE BECK, author of “Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship” (which just happens to be our August Girlfriendology Book Club book). 1. Make a conscious decision to listen. Meet a friend for lunch, … Read More »
* Speaking of ‘Chick Flicks’ this week, here’s a favorite: Julie & Julia.
* Every woman should have/do … Check out Maya Angelou and our girlfriend’s wonderful women’s wisdom.
* A wise, wonderful woman shares insights into Emotional Eating – which challenges a lot of us. (Me? Bad haircut = Taco Bell, seriously!)
The Latest Girlfriend BUZZ:
* WOW! We’re happy-dance happy over this amazing community of over 5,000+ women who are sharing, caring and connecting with each other on our Girlfriendology Facebook page. Join us! (Daily inspiring quotes, lunch videos, fun discussions, girlfriend ‘stuff!’)
You almost can’t beat this topic for girlfriend advice – frugal gourmet (combining two of our favorite things!). NIKKI BALDERAS is a busy mom of three very busy girls. Lucky for us, she still finds time to share recipes and ideas for the frugal gourmet on her blog: Coupon Cookin’. (And, she even found time to share these frugal girlfriend gift ideas!) This is going to be a fun, frugal, foodie conversation. JOIN US TODAY – 2-2:30pm EST on BlogTalkRadio. LISTEN IN TO THIS GREAT GIRLFRIEND!
Thanks CATHIE BECK, author of “Cheap Cabernet: A Friendship,” for the wonderful discussion on friendship in last week’s BlogTalkRadio show. Then read her book for the August Girlfriendology Book Club and her guest blog on five ways to be a great friend.
We can’t keep it a secret any longer –
we’re opening a new girlfriend gift shop!
OpenSky is a new way of bringing girlfriend gifts to you in a custom Girlfriendology online store. What’s so special about that? We’ll only recommend gifts that we’d give to our girlfriends (or would love to receive!). And we’ll make it easy for you to shop for the perfect birthday, holiday, special day or any day gift for a friend or for yourself.
Why OpenSky and what kind of site/shop will that be? Well, OpenSky is a partnership with bloggers to create sites where you can buy from people you know (i.e., Girlfriendology). We all know that trust is the best way to shop and the … Read More »
Girlfriendology Girlfriend Gifts – Perfume, jewelry and more. Exclusive Girlfriendology gifts, all made in the U.S. and great ways to remind her how much her friendship means to you.
Thanks for shopping from these and our other affiliates for girlfriend gifts and more! Sierra Trading Post – Great Deals, Great Brands, UncommonGoods – uncommon gifts!, Handbag Heaven – Best Selling Handbags, OldNavy.com – Trends & Sales (great combo!), American Express® Gift Cards – for every occasion, Affordable Scarves – Style and savings!, GiftTree.com – gifts, gift baskets, wine, etc.!, Crocs.com – Feel the love!, Gift Ideas from Vera Bradley, Endless.com – shoes, purses & more, and save big at drugstore.com!, Orbitz.com– Take a Girlfriend Trip!
Note: Girlfriendology is funded by affiliate shopping – so shop away! (Please, for your girlfriends?!)
Inspiration – Sunday is National Friendship Day
Plan some special time with the special friends in your life!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Girlfriend – have a great weekend with your friends. And go explore … dream … discover!
Join us TODAY at 2:00pm EDT (11am PST) for our great BlogTalkRadio interview! Check out what’s new on Girlfriendology! Thanks girlfriend!
p.s. And … be a friend to Girlfriendology! Share this blog with your girlfriends by clicking the Facebook LIKE button below and also, when you’re on our Facebook page, SHARE IT WITH YOUR GIRLFRIENDS. (Please?!) Thanks girlfriend!