It’s February. The Superbowl is over (although the discussions about the game, power outage, and ads have barely begun), and it’s time to start thinking about Valentine’s Day. Sometimes it seems that Valentine’s Day comes laden with pressure and expectations. Will we have the perfect dinner? Will I get flowers? And if I don’t, what does that mean? How do I avoid eating all the chocolate on the planet in one sitting? Does anybody love me?
Fabulous Girlfriend Guru RACHEL AWES reminds us that there are lots of ways to add meaning to Valentine’s Day, and Girlfriend love is a great place to start. (All of the joy, none of the stress.) Personally, I plan to text and tweet a lot of Girlfriendship. And maybe meet a friend or two for coffee. Or plan to go to the gym together. And then dive head-first into the chocolate.
Let’s brainstorm together how we might say Happy Valentine’s Day to our girlfriends! The day is such a beautiful opportunity to reach out and extend love.
I had put my friend Lori’s “A month of thank-yous” cards on my holiday wish list and got them! (http://www.etsy.com/shop/loriportka). I am having fun using some of them as Valentine’s cards for girlfriends.
Here are some other possible girlfriend Valentining:
- Send little gifts: homemade jam or baked cookies, a CD mix of favorite songs, or a collection of their childhood favorite things like a jar of marbles.
- Draw them a picture with crayons, complete with a gift of crayons (the big box with the sharpener).
- Give a drive-by hug. Go to their door and give them you.
- Plan a coffee date. Ask all about her heart. Offer thanks.
Happy Valentine’s Day, readers. May your hearts be warmed and spirits bright.
RACHEL AWES‘ book, “all I did was listen,” endorsed by authors/artists SARK and Kelly Rae Roberts, is available in her store http://rachelawes.etsy.com (photo credit: Carissa Paige)
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ – check it out! Don’t forget to make your girlfriends feel special with perfect birthday gifts for women!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?
THANKS to our BIG 2012 and 2013 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
We’re definitely celebrating our SHE-ROES this month here at Girlfriendology! It’s International Women’s Friendship Month and we have LOTS to celebrate! Just to get us started, let’s celebrate the benefits of female friendship:
Girlfriends make us …
- Less Stressed
- Live Longer
- Feel More Beautiful
(If Oprah or CVS or anyone sold a pill that had that impact, don’t you think EVERYONE would buy it?!)
September is International Women’s Friendship Month and we want to encourage you to celebrate your female friends – WITH your female friends! Here are a few ideas:
- Make it an all about YOU day for a Girlfriend
- Holiday Girlfriend Get-together Ideas (they’ll be here before you know it!)
- Just hang out with your girlfriends
Thanks Kappa Delta for these ideas on how to celebrate female friendship:
- Send a card or short note to your best friend telling her how much she means to you.
- Celebrate your relationship over high tea or coffee.
- Remember a special friend with a book of poetry or fiction.
- Send a card, and perhaps a photo, to a faraway friend.
- Plan a girls’ night out. Go see a movie. Make reservations for dinner.
- Visit a spa together. Make appointments for manicures. Get make-overs.
- Reconnect with a childhood friend with whom you’ve lost contact.
- Sign up for a cooking or gardening class.
- Plan an adventure. Go hiking, hot-air ballooning, white water rafting, etc.
- Start up a book club with close friends.
- Send flowers to your mother, sister or other relatives who have also been a good friend to you.
- Hand out goodie bags to your female coworkers. Include a note about International Women’s Friendship Month.
- More ideas on celebrating International Womens’ Friendship Month …
Guest blogs celebrating International Women’s Friendship Month:
- Sept 1 – MISS AMERICA, Teresa Scanlan – The Importance of Friendship
- Sept 2 – Shasta Nelson, GirlfriendCircles – Friendship in Stages – Advice for more Meaningful Friendships
- Sept 3 – Kimberly Anderson, Kim’s Closet TV – Giving back to your community with a Friend
- Sept 4 – Lynn Gasior, Cabin Chicks – Girlfriend Memories and Traditions
- Sept 5 – Rachel Awes, Artist – The Art of Girlfriends
- Sept 6 – Flo Schell, Joyful Aging – Heartfelt Advice on Friendships
- Sept 7 – Cherie Burbach, author, About.com editor – How to Understand Your Girlfriend’s Health Problems
- Sept 8 – Susan Mallery, best-selling author – Three Lessons a Girlfriend Can Learn from Tim Gunn
- Sept 9 – Elizabeth Patch, artists, body image Girlfriend Guru – Conversations with Ourselves
- Sept 10 – Donina Ifurung, On High Heels – Girls and the Art of Togetherness
- Sept 11 – Jennifer Buehlre Williams, Mom / Journalist – A Mom’s / Girlfriend’s Point of View of 9/11
- Sept 12 – Shanae Miller, Single Southern Mommy – Girlfriend Advice from Deep in the Heart
- Sept 13 – Kristin Peoples, CouponScribbles – Five Ways to Organize for Back to School Frenzy
- Sept 14 – Kimberley Freeman, author – Mary-Rose and the Mountain, A Tale of Two Girlfriends
- Sept 15 – Julie Anderson, Oh! Shoes Brand Ambassador – Buying Shoes can Change the World
- Sept 16 – Renee Yemme, Girlfriend Guru Innergy – Girlfriend Advice for De-Stressing
- Sept 17 – Janet DeVito, Girls on a Cruise – Spending Time to Nurture Friendships
- Sept 18 – Miss Kitty Plum, Plums Lingerie – A Brief Guide to Panties, Girlfriend Guru
- Sept 19 – Steph Staszko, legal advice – Savvy Safety Tips for a Girls’ Night Out
- Sept 20 – Kandi Jaeger, uterine cancer advocate – Girlfriend Update from Uterine Cancer Survivor
- Sept 21 – Chrissy Scott-Hynes, Coupon Clip Shop – Start using Coupons to Save Money
- Sept 22 – Britt Michaelian, Social Media Girlfriends – Do Twitter Followers + Facebook Friends = Real Friends?
- Sept 23 – Cathy Perry, Real Estate Concierge – Girlfriend Advice for having your BFF as your Realtor
- Sept 24 – Patty Brisben, Pure Romance – Five Tips for Being a Better Friend
- Sept 25 – Kathlene Mullens, Female Equality Matters – Traveling with Girlfriends, Tips for Fun Travel with Friends
- Sept 26 – Donna Gamache, Personal Style Guru – Appearance Matters when No One Else Sees You
- Sept 27 – Veronica Drake, Design Your Relationship – Seven Simple Secrets to Nurture Your Relationship
- Sept 28 – Feoshia Henderson, writer – The Fat Bride (& very beautiful)
- Sept 29 – Irene Levine, The Friendship Blog – How to make yourself a ‘Keeper’ Friend
- Sept 30 – Colette Marx, Zig Zag Principle – Can you work with your Girlfriends?
Close FRIENDS contribute to our personal growth. They also contribute to our personal pleasure, making the music sound sweeter, the WINE taste richer, the laughter ring louder because they are there.
Summer’s here and it’s time for Wine, Women and Celebrating with Family and FRIENDS!
Here at Girlfriendology we’re celebrating July with our girlfriends at the WINE SISTERHOOD. (If you recall, they hosted the ‘1st Annual Wine Sisterhood Gathering‘ in February – and EXCITING news is coming about the 2nd Annual Gathering! And check them out on Twitter and Facebook too.) We’ll be sharing wine info and inspiration from them every Friday in July – so stop back for inspiration on food, wine and great girlfriend gatherings.
We’re getting a little jump ahead of July by sharing this culinary girlfriend advice for the 4th of July and Summertime eating and entertaining, provided by our girlfriends at the WINE SISTERHOOD (and check out the video below!):
Garlic Mojo Hot Dogs – Mojo is a Cuban sauce made from the juice of sour oranges (or, in this case, a mix of orange juice and lime juice). This topping is mildly spicy with quite a bit of acid from the citrus. Pair with a no-or-lightly oaked wine such as Middle Sister Wicked White.
Beer-Braised Hot Dogs with Braised Sauerkraut – This German-inspired rendition would be amazing with the classic German variety, Riesling. Try our White Haute Riesling, or one from Germany or the Alsace region of France. That’ll make you get up and polka!
Harissa-Onion Dogs with Preserved Lemon-Relish – This exotic dog features flavors of North Africa. Try a white blend with lemony notes to mirror the flavors in the lemon relish, such as PromisQous, a crisp and spicy blend of Chardonnay, Chenin Blanc and Gewuztraminer.
Hot Dogs with Dal and Red Onion Raita – This savory dog could be paired with a lightly-oaked, fruity red red white such as Middle Sister Goodie Two Shoes Pinot Noir or Red Haute Pinot Noir. If you prefer a slightly sweeter red, check out our newest Middle Sister Sweetie Pie. She’s made primarily from Merlot but has a touch of residual sugar, making her an ideal companion to flavorful ethnic cuisine.
Cheddar Dogs with Cider-Braised Leeks and Apples – When you say apples, we say Chardonnay. The apple flavors of these topping will match beautifully with Monogamy or Middle Sister Smarty Pants Chardonnay.
Hot Dogs with Poblanos, Pepper Jack and Tomatillos – Ingredients with heat such as chiles tend to make tannic, oaky big red wines taste a bit off. When your flavors are hot and spicy, look for a no-or-lightly oaked white wine with a hint of sweetness, such as Middle Sister Sweet & Sassy Moscato or for a drier choice Middle Sister Drama Queen Pinot Grigio. We think this hearty dog would also make a statement paired with a super-fruity, fresh red, such as PromisQous Red, a blend of Zinfandel, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon.
Manchego Cheese and Garlic Dogs – A roasted garlic and red pepper relish replaces the usual pickle in this Spanish take on hot dogs. Wine? This dog will go both ways—a light and fruity red—for slighlty richer white. Because the dogs are grilled, which adds extra smoky flavor, we’re thinking Zinfandel such as Deep Purple Zin from Lodi, California. It’s lower in alcohol than many Zinfandels and full of juicy, jammy fruit which won’t bite you back when you bite into one of these luscious guys.
A little introduction to the WINE SISTERHOOD:
Wine Sisterhood is an online community where women can join the conversation about wine, food, travel, style and entertaining. We know that sisterhood is powerful, and our mission is to entertain, educate, inform, and inspire. The idea for the Wine Sisterhood was sparked through actual conversations with our friends and colleagues. We set out to create a fun, friendly space online where women — like you — could talk, learn and share their wisdom.
Have you seen our Wine Chat TV video segments yet? You should definitely check them out for great wine tips. But we don’t just talk wine. We cover food, travel, entertainment, style and other related topics. We also let you know about events where we’re pouring our wines or where are wines are being served. If you’re nearby, stop in to say hello and have a sip!
We also believe in and align with important causes that support women. That’s just how we do business. You can read more about our commitment to give back at Causes We Care About. You can find us here, on our Facebook community, as well as on YouTube, Twitter, and Pinterest. You can also connect with us via mobile on Foursquare, Instagram, and Corkbin.
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 60,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes.
We all have different rituals at different times in our lives. For some of us, it might have been a ritual on the first day of school (new shoes, new lunchbox, new pencils). For the athletes among us, it might have been a pre-game ritual (without which we were sure we would not compete as well). For others of us, it might have been a special friendship greeting we shared with our BFF.
As we’ve grown up, different rituals have taken center stage. For us, we love having meetings over a cup of coffee. Even if we don’t have coffee to drink, it’s the getting together and catching up that are important. Girlfriend Guru LISA SARICK reminds us that birthdays are another great time to (more…)