A friendship can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often – just to save it from drying out completely.
Pam Brown has it right in her quote above. Friendships can survive droughts of attention, seasons of silence and years of neglect, sometimes – if you’re lucky. The relationship that makes women healthier, happier, less stressed, live longer, and feel more beautiful, needs a little help from time to time. With our busy lives, we often need a little reminder to realize how important we are to each other and why we need to make an effort to show the girlfriends who bless our lives, just how much they do mean to us.
How can you keep your friendships healthy, growing, thriving? What little ways can you be a better friend? Here’s our 5 Little Friendship Reminders that make a BIG Difference:
1.Be@BetterFriend – Recently there was a story on Facebook about a guy who used his passwords to help him grow. When he was struggling with a broken relationship, he made his password: Forgive@her. It helped! When he wanted to quit renting, he changed his password to Save4@Home. He was able to save for a down payment! Each day he was reminded of the challenge he had taken on and it helped him to move forward toward his emotional and other goals. Why not make your password Be@BetterFriend? (Or B@BBFF – Be a Better BFF, for a shortened version) Little reminders will help you reach your important goals like being there for the special women who are there for you.
2. Girlfriend Journal – What’s her favorite candy or wine? Does she prefer gold or silver jewelry? Is she a vegetarian, vegan or on the paleo diet? We all love a friend who remembers the little things about our lives – when we are going out of town, our children’s birthdays, our favorite movies – little things that mean we’re special. If you’re not the greatest at remembering those things, start a journal where you capture birthday gift ideas, special memories and notes about your best friends. Review it from time to time to not only get little reminders of special ways to show them that you notice and care, but also to be reminded of the amazing women in your life and how they bless you with their friendship – all with a little journal about your BFFs.
3. Cards, Letters and Kindness Goals – How could you be a better friend? Think about it – could you show them you care by giving more thoughtful gifts? Remembering their birthdays? Calling them every week to check in? What are your kindness and friendship goals? Don’t have any? Set some! Start some girlfriend traditions – like a book club or weekly walk with your friends. Just make an effort – write a card/letter, show acts of kindness, be there for your friends!
4. A Birthday Calendar – Sure Facebook tells you when it’s her birthday, but those reminders don’t grant a lot of time to really make an effort to make her feel as special as her friendship is to you, right? Go ‘old school’ and write down your friends’ birthdays and special days. (Get a perpetual calendar so you can keep it for many years.) Make an effort to make her feel special on her special day – give her gifts that she loves, not necessarily what you love. Spend time with her – even if it’s making a date for a phone call for a loved long distance friend.
5. Make Time for Your Girlfriends – As Robert Brault said: I value the FRIEND who finds time on her calendar but I cherish her who doesn’t consult her calendar. Want to have friends? BE A FRIEND. Want to be a friend? MAKE TIME FOR YOUR FRIENDS. Simple gestures of time say more than lavish gifts and create more memories that anything that comes wrapped up in a bow. Give the best gift ever – your time. It’s the best way to make a BIG difference in the life of a friend and in the invest of friendship.[Tweet “5 Little Friendship Reminders that make a BIG Difference”]
More ways to be a Better Friend:
- 10 Girlfriend Traditions You Can Start Today – You’ll be Glad You Did!
- Enjoy the ‘Passage of Time’ – Enjoy Life, Enjoy Friends!
- Five Great Reasons to Send a Card | Girlfriend Advice on Snail Mail
- 3 Ways to Keep in Touch with Long-Distance Friends | Ideas from Adrienne Erin
- 7 Ways to Be a Best Friend | Be a Better Friend!
This week on Girlfriendology: